May 22, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
With six outfielders on the disabled list and Kevin Youkilis coming off the shelf the Red Sox have gotten creative for tonight’s game against the Orioles, shifting Adrian Gonzalez to right field so Youkilis can play first base and Will Middlebrooks can remain at third base.
Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Middlebrooks are batting 4-5-6 in Boston’s lineup versus left-hander Brian Matusz.
Gonzalez is a three-time Gold Glove winner at first base, but he’s previously started five games in right field and the Red Sox are more comfortable using him out there than a banged-up Youkilis. Middlebrooks is hitting .297 with five homers, six doubles, and a .906 OPS in 18 games overall and Boston’s lineup can’t afford to lose another capable bat by sending him back to Triple-A.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)