May 22, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
With six outfielders on the disabled list and Kevin Youkilis coming off the shelf the Red Sox have gotten creative for tonight’s game against the Orioles, shifting Adrian Gonzalez to right field so Youkilis can play first base and Will Middlebrooks can remain at third base.
Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Middlebrooks are batting 4-5-6 in Boston’s lineup versus left-hander Brian Matusz.
Gonzalez is a three-time Gold Glove winner at first base, but he’s previously started five games in right field and the Red Sox are more comfortable using him out there than a banged-up Youkilis. Middlebrooks is hitting .297 with five homers, six doubles, and a .906 OPS in 18 games overall and Boston’s lineup can’t afford to lose another capable bat by sending him back to Triple-A.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)