Reds fan catches back-to-back homers

May 22, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Reds logo small

Why, this is improbable. Reds fan Caleb Lloyd caught two home run balls last night. On back-to-back homers:

The 20-year-old junior from Thomas More College was in left field when Reds pitcher Mike Leake hit his first career homer in the fourth inning. The ball went directly to Lloyd, who had never caught a ball at a game.

“It hit my hand,” he said. “I didn’t expect to actually catch it. I never actually caught a home run ball. It hurt really bad.”

Three pitches later, shortstop Zack Cozart hit another one to the same area. The ball bounced right to Lloyd, who had one free hand.

Here’s the video.

Coolest thing: he gave both the balls away. One to Leake, because it was his first career homer. The other to his buddy who gave him the tickets.  Strong moves, both.  It’s not like he’s going to forget the experience. The balls themselves are just … balls.

1. Francisco (FC) - May 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That boy gives new meaning to the phrase: “Grow a pair”.

2. drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

What? He didn’t give them both to kids? He should have his children taken away from him.

• jlg454 - May 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM

He’s a 20 year old college kid. Why would you assume he was there with children or has children? Giving the first one to Leake makes total sense. It means way more to him then anyone else. Giving the second one to his friend was a nice way to thank him.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM

the joke
        your head

• jimbo1949 - May 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM

needs a lot more space between the lines

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I suppose you could say the same of Leake, but it is a cool story nonetheless. I hope he at least got an autographed ball or something out of the deal. Or some tickets.

4. stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Give the ball to Leake? Absolutely…with zero reservations.
    Give the ball to my buddy who provided me with tickets? No way in Hell.
    He didn’t provide me with those tickets w/ strings attached.
    However, I will qualify this by stating that anytime a buddy has taken me to a game he doesn’t spend a dime (unless of course he actually bought the tickets himself).
    Either way…his beer, food, parking and after game activities are always on me.
    And at $8.00 a pop…we easily drink far more beer than the ticket(s) cost to begin with.
    That ball that I caught? He is sitting right next to me. Catch it Suzy!

5. florida727 - May 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This might rank up there (from a fan’s “achievement” perspective) with Johnny Vander Meer’s back-to-back no-hitters… which of course he did as a member of… the Cincinnati Reds! Neither of them is likely to ever be duplicated!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oh come on, all you have to do is go to a Marlins game, hope there are two homeruns hit and fight the 12 other fans in the stands for them. Those are great odds!

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

the joke
        your head
        Hahahaha!

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

No doubt Florida. The guy needs to buy a lottery ticket (if he hasn’t already).

• florida727 - May 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Either that or go to Vegas… FAST :)

I like “church”‘s comment. Fighting off both those other fans (he overestimated; he did say MARLINS game, right?), got to like your odds, huh?

6. falstaffsmind - May 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The odds are pretty astronomical. I would play any related numbers (player numbers, seat number, inning number) in the lottery.

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

On behalf of my Father…great screen name Falstaff!

7. antlerclaws - May 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM

My stand remains: You paid for the ticket. If you catch the ball, you keep it. Or give it away. Whichever you want to do, it’s yours. I don’t think it makes you Hitler if you decide to keep it, and if it makes you feel better to give it away, fine. Either way, I don’t think it should be a big decision and no one else should influence you.

8. hoopmatch - May 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m surprised, with the stats we have today, that no one has determined that this feat hasn’t been accomplished since Clarence Hardapple caught two consecutive home run balls off the bats of Hank Greenberg and Mickey Cochrane at Navin Field in 1934.

9. mybrunoblog - May 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Somewhere Charlie Sheen just said ” damm damm damm, I couldn’t even get one”

10. carolinakid - May 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

LIKE A BOSS !

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Lonely Island?

11. goawaydog - May 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM

anyone see the Dad lift his kid to catch the ball in the stands the other night? that was a great assist too. that kid was pumped when he looked in his glove and saw the ball there.

also, a Giants fan caught 2 foul balls last night, not as cool as a HR, but still two in the same seat.

12. warrenlevine - May 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM

When Coors Field first opened, I got a pair of season tickets in the HC row at the top of the left-field bleachers. Lots of times I’d give up my seats so someone who couldn’t get hold of HC tickets, and the ushers would put me and my son down in the first row over the fence. Between me and my kids, we caught hundreds of batting practice home-runs, many of which we gave away to other fans, especially kids in the HC row. There is NOTHING as satisfying as catching a baseball at a game, except giving that ball away to a kid who can’t catch one for him/herself.

That said, there was a little girlie in one of those for-life wheelchairs; her father said she’d maybe live to be a teenager. She could talk, and could move her arms, nothing more. Last game of the 1995 season, Giants @ Rockies, I caught a BP home-run and gave it to the girl. Minute or two later, Barry Bonds comes to the fence right in front of us (literally touching distance), and the girl asks if he could sign the ball for her. F**king Barry Bonds says to the girl in the wheelchair, “Ask yo daddy if he got fifty dollas.” and trotted off.

A whole bunch of people around me witnessed this and we gave him bloody hell all game. We were ruthless, and rightfully so. Sometime during the game, popup behind third base. Third baseman runs out, Bonds runs in, they have a head-to-head crash and Bonds is carried off with a broken jaw and a concussion.

Justice!!!

• mybrunoblog - May 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Barry bonds is such a tool. It really sucks that he stole Aarons record. This is just another reason to dislike the guy. Good post.

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Great story Warren. Good for you.
      Hopefully, the guy with the Colossal Cranium heard your reign of boo’s and heckling to the point of it actually bothering him a little.
      But of course…we know that is highly unlikely.

13. toosano - May 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

What a cool guy! Deserved to catch those two balls!

14. henson58 - May 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The Reds invited the kid who caught the two homers back tonight as an honorary captain for tonights game. pretty cool of them.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4715)