May 22, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Henry Rodriguez continues to not get it done as the Nationals closer. Last night he came into the game to lock down a 2-0 lead in the ninth. Then he walked a guy, gave up a single and uncorked two wild pitches. The dude he walked came around to score and Sean Burnett had to, once again, close things out.
Davey Johnson has had a tremendous amount of patience with Rodriguez — you gotta give high-90s gas all of the chances you can — but it sounds like he’s had enough:
Davey on closer situation: “I’m going to sleep on it, but I’m looking at other alternatives.” Could be a “committee.”
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 22, 2012
Can’t blame him. You figure that committee will consist of Craig Stammen, Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard and, when there’s a three-run lead and other offense doesn’t seem that dangerous — some opportunities for Rodriguez too.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)