May 22, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
I hate that headline for a couple of reasons. “Keeping the grounds” is dumb and clunky, but I can’t get my brain to be OK with the plural of “groundskeeper.” “Groundskeepers” is probably right, but it really is causing me problems.
The other part of that headline I hate is that simply noting the fact that the O’s and Tigers have women in that role constitutes news. It does, and the fact that women have a job that not a lot of women have is cool, but it reads like some sort of 1920s article noting with amusement and glee that women drive cars or vote or something.
OK, my hangups aside, go read Amanda Rykoff’s article about Heather Nabozny, Nicole Sherry, each of whom keep the grass green and — more importantly, I was somewhat surprised to learn — the dirt looking good. Really, we always think about the grass, but Nabonzy notes that the grass takes way less of a beating and the dirt is where all the effort is. I hadn’t really thought about that.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)