May 22, 2012, 1:33 PM EST
I hate that headline for a couple of reasons. “Keeping the grounds” is dumb and clunky, but I can’t get my brain to be OK with the plural of “groundskeeper.” “Groundskeepers” is probably right, but it really is causing me problems.
The other part of that headline I hate is that simply noting the fact that the O’s and Tigers have women in that role constitutes news. It does, and the fact that women have a job that not a lot of women have is cool, but it reads like some sort of 1920s article noting with amusement and glee that women drive cars or vote or something.
OK, my hangups aside, go read Amanda Rykoff’s article about Heather Nabozny, Nicole Sherry, each of whom keep the grass green and — more importantly, I was somewhat surprised to learn — the dirt looking good. Really, we always think about the grass, but Nabonzy notes that the grass takes way less of a beating and the dirt is where all the effort is. I hadn’t really thought about that.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)