May 22, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
I hate that headline for a couple of reasons. “Keeping the grounds” is dumb and clunky, but I can’t get my brain to be OK with the plural of “groundskeeper.” “Groundskeepers” is probably right, but it really is causing me problems.
The other part of that headline I hate is that simply noting the fact that the O’s and Tigers have women in that role constitutes news. It does, and the fact that women have a job that not a lot of women have is cool, but it reads like some sort of 1920s article noting with amusement and glee that women drive cars or vote or something.
OK, my hangups aside, go read Amanda Rykoff’s article about Heather Nabozny, Nicole Sherry, each of whom keep the grass green and — more importantly, I was somewhat surprised to learn — the dirt looking good. Really, we always think about the grass, but Nabonzy notes that the grass takes way less of a beating and the dirt is where all the effort is. I hadn’t really thought about that.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 5
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 53
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 75
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)