May 22, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Sunday on “Gleeman and The Geek” we talked about Jason Marquis‘ latest clunker of a start and how much longer the Twins could possibly stick with him in the rotation. It didn’t take long for an answer, as the Twins designated Marquis for assignment seven starts into a $3 million deal given to the 33-year-old veteran who was supposed to help stabilize a shaky rotation.
Minnesota native, former Gophers star, and 27-year-old career minor leaguer Cole DeVries was called up from Triple-A to take his spot.
Marquis now goes in the same pile as Ramon Ortiz, Livan Hernandez, and Sidney Ponson, each of whom Minnesota signed more for their veteran-ness than ability and got booted from the rotation after performing terribly. Those four pitchers combined to cost the Twins around $12 million for 303 innings of a 5.88 ERA and in each case the terrible performances were entirely predictable, although certainly Marquis was even worse than anyone could have expected.
He posted an 8.47 ERA and allowed 33 runs in 34 innings with more walks than strikeouts and nine homers, as opponents hit .371/.434/.629. To put that in some context, consider Albert Pujols is a career .325/.417/.609 hitter, so Marquis basically turned every batter he faced into a souped-up version of this era’s best hitter. He wasn’t throwing strikes, he wasn’t keeping the ball in the ballpark, and he ranked dead last among MLB pitchers in swinging strikes.
When the Twins signed Marquis this winter I called it “an uninspired pickup made necessary by payroll slashing” and noted how odd it was for general manager Terry Ryan to praise his ability to “throw the ball over the plate” when in reality his career walk rate was identical to Francisco Liriano‘s at 3.5 per nine innings. Marquis’ awful control shouldn’t have been a surprise, but all the homers from a ground-ball pitcher were unexpected and turned a questionable signing into a disaster.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)