May 22, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Sunday on “Gleeman and The Geek” we talked about Jason Marquis‘ latest clunker of a start and how much longer the Twins could possibly stick with him in the rotation. It didn’t take long for an answer, as the Twins designated Marquis for assignment seven starts into a $3 million deal given to the 33-year-old veteran who was supposed to help stabilize a shaky rotation.
Minnesota native, former Gophers star, and 27-year-old career minor leaguer Cole DeVries was called up from Triple-A to take his spot.
Marquis now goes in the same pile as Ramon Ortiz, Livan Hernandez, and Sidney Ponson, each of whom Minnesota signed more for their veteran-ness than ability and got booted from the rotation after performing terribly. Those four pitchers combined to cost the Twins around $12 million for 303 innings of a 5.88 ERA and in each case the terrible performances were entirely predictable, although certainly Marquis was even worse than anyone could have expected.
He posted an 8.47 ERA and allowed 33 runs in 34 innings with more walks than strikeouts and nine homers, as opponents hit .371/.434/.629. To put that in some context, consider Albert Pujols is a career .325/.417/.609 hitter, so Marquis basically turned every batter he faced into a souped-up version of this era’s best hitter. He wasn’t throwing strikes, he wasn’t keeping the ball in the ballpark, and he ranked dead last among MLB pitchers in swinging strikes.
When the Twins signed Marquis this winter I called it “an uninspired pickup made necessary by payroll slashing” and noted how odd it was for general manager Terry Ryan to praise his ability to “throw the ball over the plate” when in reality his career walk rate was identical to Francisco Liriano‘s at 3.5 per nine innings. Marquis’ awful control shouldn’t have been a surprise, but all the homers from a ground-ball pitcher were unexpected and turned a questionable signing into a disaster.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)