Yep, someone took David Ortiz’s “no respect” comments out of context

May 22, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

When I was looking at the quotes from that David Ortiz article this morning I just knew someone would take the “I don’t get no respect” part out of context and make it look like Ortiz was going on a “me, me, me” rant.  That someone was Kirk Minihane of WEEI:

I sometimes wonder if David Ortiz is legitimately delusional … [his greatest hit] has always been the no respect card. He’s played it time and time again over his career with the Sox and broke it out for another spin on Monday night … The Sox have won nine of 11 games since the meeting and it sure seems that Ortiz would like a couple of attaboys for showing a little initiative … Maybe he’s a leader on this team and maybe he isn’t, but he’d be best served to keep hitting and leave his greatest hit on the shelf.

In context, however, it was pretty clear that the exact opposite was true. He was surprised and not pleased that the story of the closed-door meeting he held got out. He said “I don’t give a [expletive] about anybody knowing what we talk about, No. 1. And No. 2, I don’t give a [expletive] what they call leaders.”

That he then went on to talk about the curious nature of what people consider leadership in Boston does not make him an attention-seeker. Rather, it seems like he’d not play the game at all if he had the choice, but if asked, sure, he’s gonna say what he thinks about it.

But if all people get from his comments are “I don’t get no respect,” he probably shouldn’t bother saying anything at all.

1. djpostl - May 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I caught Ortiz’s initial comments and think Minihane is touching on the “big picture”, at least from his own perspective.

I take away (from everything Ortiz has said in recent years) that he has always felt like other guys got all the credit for being a leader on the team. My first reaction to what Papi said was kind of what Kirk alluded to. It just felt like he was giving a big “F*** you, I lead too” to the media for not recognizing he had done it in the past.

I get his indignation, but I see where Kirk is coming from because in the end leaders lead, they don’t fish for recognition as they do it.

Dude just has a somewhat contentious relationship with the Boston media at times, but who cares. The fans appreciate what he does, that’s enough.

• bigleagues - May 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The big picture is that there are a bunch of sports media media outlets in Boston who are mind marketing to you.

Each outlet offers a wide selection of ‘takes’ on a topic or event. Complete coverage doesn’t mean good coverage. Boston sports media outlets cast a wide net of opinion and analysis because they want you tune in or land on their page and stay there.

Minihane is one of the opinion manipulators or “Niche Opinion Writers” as I like to call them. In Boston it’s all about NOW and are all of the possible angles covered so that all fans perspectives are covered under one tent.

There had to be people in Boston today who knee-jerked to the snippets of what Ortiz said on their way to work this morning. They didn’t get the whole story – in context. So Minihane wrote a narrowly focused feature opinion to fan the flames of incomplete ignorance.

I guarantee you Minihane doesn’t believe a word of the opinion he wrote on Ortiz. at least I hope he doesn’t, because that would make him a moron.

2. sophiethegreatdane - May 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I fail to see how anyone took his comments “out of context” based on the article you site Craig. I mean, in what context does “I don’t get no respect” actually mean “I get all the respect in the world.”

Let’s review what Ortiz said:

“Well, let me tell you, I was reading an article [that] talked about the leaders people call ‘leaders’ in this town. Basically, it seems like no matter what you do, it’s not good enough.

“And you can only call leaders the guys who are out diving for balls on the field or calling pitches behind the plate?”

“I don’t get no respect,” he said. “Not from the media. Not from the front office. What I do is never the right thing. It’s always hiding, for somebody to find out.”

Not sure how much more context can be applied here. I’m not ripping Ortiz, and frankly I could care less on a personal level. But the man said what he said, and if someone else is irritated at him for playing the “I don’t get no respect” card, well, I find it hard to say that Ortiz didn’t actually say that.

• vallewho - May 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

someone is missing a BIG point.

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Ortiz is a lying confirmed steroid-using Chet who cries almost as much as the whiny Boston fan base,mthe biggest crybabies on the planet.

• bigleagues - May 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

This is shtick right? I’m only asking because I’m struggling to find the shred of truth in your statement.

• Gamera the Brave - May 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

What is a “Chet”? Wasn’t that the big brother in that “Weird Science” movie from the early 80’s?
        Kelly LeBrock, anyone?

• bigleagues - May 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I think we just found the Minihane fan.

3. hiltonandastoria - May 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you

Matthew 7:7

There’s always those seeking and finding
    and then spewing their spin on the internets

4. Jonny 5 - May 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Ohhh, more Scribes pining for attention? Their leaders they created in their minds aren’t living up to their ideals of Leaders? Huh?

5. Marty - May 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

At least he was able to quote him correctly.

6. ghostofjimlindeman - May 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Honestly the guy has been a whiny bit*h pretty much since he got popped for steroids. Oh and the media was so hard on him when he got caught for that. What was his explanation again for cheating? This guy and Kentucky Fried Beckett wore out their welcome when they chased away the best coach the Sox have ever had. Cause you know leaders yell at their coaches on national tv over a freakin RBI, C’mon! I think it’s time this franchise take a new direction and find new leaders. Papi will always have a place in Boston, but sometimes ya gotta cut the chord with the past, and he’s been living in the past a looong time now. Not even sure what he brings to the future anymore.

• drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

He’s fine for the present, thanks.

• teaspoon1731 - May 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

well, he’s batting .333, has 53 hits on the year and is leading the team in doubles, home runs and runs. but yeah, he’s a complete waste, they should get rid of him.

7. drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

“Yep, someone took David Ortiz’s “no respect” comments out of context” DELIBERATELY

8. bigleagues - May 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

In context, this is what Kirk Minihane does. It’s his job to take things out of context because a column on David Ortiz “complaining” is bound to have an audience who will click through.

Minihane is what I call a “Niche Opinion Writer” and it’s what Boston sports media has become – a bunch of NOW’s with no real opinions or convictions other than to drive traffic, viewership and listenership within a sports media war that may have no rival.

Here is an indication of how cynical I’ve become about the whole lot of them . . . I’m not sure there is anyone left who voices an original thought (If they do, they’re fired or run out of town . . . just ask Charles Pierce). Nope, just a bunch of NOW’s carefully strategizing the angle they will write or voice in order to generate website traffic, listenership or viewership.

9. markfrednubble - May 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I don’t think there is a less responsible, less professional, and more consistently wrong member of the Boston sports media than Minihane. He’s a back bencher with a weekend time slot on talk radio and a column on the radio station web site. He is an absolute jerk. Minihane is the guy who wrote a scathing hatchet job on the Bruins’ TV play by play guy, Jack Edwards, a guy most Bruins fans love and a guy who is one of the most prepared, meticulous and entertaining announcers around. This guy Minihane writes to light matches, start fires and draw the kind of attention he doesn’t deserve on a site like HardballTalk.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3049)