May 22, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
When I was looking at the quotes from that David Ortiz article this morning I just knew someone would take the “I don’t get no respect” part out of context and make it look like Ortiz was going on a “me, me, me” rant. That someone was Kirk Minihane of WEEI:
I sometimes wonder if David Ortiz is legitimately delusional … [his greatest hit] has always been the no respect card. He’s played it time and time again over his career with the Sox and broke it out for another spin on Monday night … The Sox have won nine of 11 games since the meeting and it sure seems that Ortiz would like a couple of attaboys for showing a little initiative … Maybe he’s a leader on this team and maybe he isn’t, but he’d be best served to keep hitting and leave his greatest hit on the shelf.
In context, however, it was pretty clear that the exact opposite was true. He was surprised and not pleased that the story of the closed-door meeting he held got out. He said “I don’t give a [expletive] about anybody knowing what we talk about, No. 1. And No. 2, I don’t give a [expletive] what they call leaders.”
That he then went on to talk about the curious nature of what people consider leadership in Boston does not make him an attention-seeker. Rather, it seems like he’d not play the game at all if he had the choice, but if asked, sure, he’s gonna say what he thinks about it.
But if all people get from his comments are “I don’t get no respect,” he probably shouldn’t bother saying anything at all.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)