May 22, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes is eligible to come off the disabled list today, but the A’s center fielder isn’t ready to return from a strained muscle in his left hand.
Cespedes was cleared for baseball activities last week and has said his hand feels better, but Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that he hasn’t been able to swing a bat yet and until that happens without any problems there can’t be a timetable for rejoining the lineup.
Prior to the injury Cespedes dropped jaws with his monstrous power and hit .245 with five homers, four steals, and a .753 OPS in 28 games, which qualifies as excellent production for an Oakland team that ranks dead last in batting average, slugging percentage, OPS, and runs scored.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (113)