May 22, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes is eligible to come off the disabled list today, but the A’s center fielder isn’t ready to return from a strained muscle in his left hand.
Cespedes was cleared for baseball activities last week and has said his hand feels better, but Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that he hasn’t been able to swing a bat yet and until that happens without any problems there can’t be a timetable for rejoining the lineup.
Prior to the injury Cespedes dropped jaws with his monstrous power and hit .245 with five homers, four steals, and a .753 OPS in 28 games, which qualifies as excellent production for an Oakland team that ranks dead last in batting average, slugging percentage, OPS, and runs scored.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)