Zach Britton could be back with the Orioles next week

May 22, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT

zach britton getty Getty Images

Brian Roberts isn’t the only member of the Orioles’ roster nearing a return after an extended absence.

According to Roch Kubatko of MASN, left-handed starter Zach Britton could be activated from the disabled list after making just one rehab start — scheduled for Saturday at Double-A Bowie.

Britton has been out since the end of spring training with shoulder soreness that dates back to late last season. He’s been making appearances in extended spring training games for the past few weeks in Sarasota, Florida and has reported no renewed discomfort.

Britton, 24, registered a 4.61 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 154 1/3 innings (28 starts) last year for the Orioles. If he’s ready to take a step forward, the sophomore southpaw could be a real asset to first-place Baltimore.

1. psuravens19 - May 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

“Could be a real asset to first-place Baltimore” has a nice ring to it Drew… Keep saying it!

2. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Matusz is warming up so adding another lefty would be great. Trade Gregg and stick Hunter in his spot. Arrieta, Hammel, Britton, Chen, Matusz. That rotation sounds good to me.

3. rockthered1286 - May 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I think a lot of people have forgotten about Britton because the O’s haven’t skipped a beat this season, despite several key injuries. I think Britton has the potential to jump in as a #3, possibly a #2 guy in the rotation (pending on whether Hammel continues pitching out of his mind). I like Arrieta, Britton, Hammel, Chen, Matusz as our 5. Hunter to long relief since he’s always good for the first 4 innings or so, then starts to give up the long ball next time around the order (too predictable with the high fastball down the middle of the plate 70% of the time).

Love this rotation, and the depth if injuries occur.

4. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM

We also have kid named Bundy waiting in the wings

5. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I’d like to see lefties in the 3 & 5 but Buck knows best

6. eutawstreetblues - May 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bundy needs at least another calendar year in the minors. I just saw him pitch on Sunday, and he looks great but he’s nowhere close to being ready. He only threw 3 non-fastballs in his whole outing.

Looking forward to seeing Britton instead of Hunter every 5 days.

7. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I agree. I don’t want to see Bundy at Camden until he’s 22 (best case scenario). I’m sure it’ll happen before I’m no pro scout. Britton in the 3, Chen 4, Matusz (lights out yesterday) 5. Hammel can pitch another 2 years in the 2-3 spot then Bundy will be 100% ready.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3907)