May 23, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Good news here for the hobbled Cardinals.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Allen Craig tested his strained left hamstring Wednesday with “some running” and is planning to take batting practice on the field before Thursday’s series-opener against the Phillies.
Craig has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 17 and is eligible to be activated on June 1.
The 27-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder is batting .373/.424/.765 with five home runs, five doubles and 19 RBI in just 59 plate appearances this season. St. Louis currently has a half-game lead over the Reds in the National League Central standings.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (127)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)