May 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
I got this in the mail recently. Not the Calvin and Hobbes picture. My son drew that. No, I mean the Frank Robinson statue.
The Orioles sent it to me (and as you can see, my son took it). And yes, I suppose they did so in order to persuade me to write about their promotion. But their promotion is designed in part to give everyone who takes advantage of it statues like these too. I want you all to have them, so I’m willing to be used.
The promotion: the Orioles Legends Celebration Series, in which the Orioles are unveiling statues of their past greats in the picnic area beyond center field at Camden Yards. They’re doing this for both the great players and Camden Yards itself, as the ballpark is celebrating its 20th anniversary. How on Earth Camden Yards is already 20 years-old I have no idea, but there you have it.
On unveiling days, they’re giving out replica statues like this one of Frank Robinson. His was already done in April– I suppose you can find one on eBay if you really wanted some — but there are five more to be done this season:
- Earl Weaver — June 30;
- Jim Palmer — July 14
- Eddie Murray — August 11
- Cal Ripken Jr. — September 6; and
- Brooks Robinson — September 29
I haven’t seen what the other ones look like, but I do hope that Weaver’s is of him arguing. Or perhaps holding forth about Don Stanhouse, team speed, Terry Crowley, Alice Sweet and her tomato plants. No, I’m not explaining that one. If you don’t know, go Google it. But make sure no kids or bosses are within a mile of you when you do.
Anyway, good show Orioles. These statues beat the heck out of bobbleheads. Now: when is the Randy Milligan statue being unveiled?
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)