May 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
I got this in the mail recently. Not the Calvin and Hobbes picture. My son drew that. No, I mean the Frank Robinson statue.
The Orioles sent it to me (and as you can see, my son took it). And yes, I suppose they did so in order to persuade me to write about their promotion. But their promotion is designed in part to give everyone who takes advantage of it statues like these too. I want you all to have them, so I’m willing to be used.
The promotion: the Orioles Legends Celebration Series, in which the Orioles are unveiling statues of their past greats in the picnic area beyond center field at Camden Yards. They’re doing this for both the great players and Camden Yards itself, as the ballpark is celebrating its 20th anniversary. How on Earth Camden Yards is already 20 years-old I have no idea, but there you have it.
On unveiling days, they’re giving out replica statues like this one of Frank Robinson. His was already done in April– I suppose you can find one on eBay if you really wanted some — but there are five more to be done this season:
- Earl Weaver — June 30;
- Jim Palmer — July 14
- Eddie Murray — August 11
- Cal Ripken Jr. — September 6; and
- Brooks Robinson — September 29
I haven’t seen what the other ones look like, but I do hope that Weaver’s is of him arguing. Or perhaps holding forth about Don Stanhouse, team speed, Terry Crowley, Alice Sweet and her tomato plants. No, I’m not explaining that one. If you don’t know, go Google it. But make sure no kids or bosses are within a mile of you when you do.
Anyway, good show Orioles. These statues beat the heck out of bobbleheads. Now: when is the Randy Milligan statue being unveiled?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 27
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 24
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (162)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)