Better than a bobblehead: get your replicas of statues of Orioles legends

May 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EST

Frank Robinson Statue

I got this in the mail recently. Not the Calvin and Hobbes picture. My son drew that.  No, I mean the Frank Robinson statue.

The Orioles sent it to me (and as you can see, my son took it). And yes, I suppose they did so in order to persuade me to write about their promotion. But their promotion is designed in part to give everyone who takes advantage of it statues like these too. I want you all to have them, so I’m willing to be used.

The promotion: the Orioles Legends Celebration Series, in which the Orioles are unveiling statues of their past greats in the picnic area beyond center field at Camden Yards.  They’re doing this for both the great players and Camden Yards itself, as the ballpark is celebrating its 20th anniversary. How on Earth Camden Yards is already 20 years-old I have no idea, but there you have it.

On unveiling days, they’re giving out replica statues like this one of Frank Robinson.  His was already done in April– I suppose you can find one on eBay if you really wanted some — but there are five more to be done this season:

• Earl Weaver — June 30;
  • Jim Palmer — July 14
  • Eddie Murray — August 11
  • Cal Ripken Jr. — September 6; and
  • Brooks Robinson — September 29

I haven’t seen what the other ones look like, but I do hope that Weaver’s is of him arguing. Or perhaps holding forth about Don Stanhouse, team speed, Terry Crowley, Alice Sweet and her tomato plants. No, I’m not explaining that one. If you don’t know, go Google it. But make sure no kids or bosses are within a mile of you when you do.

Anyway, good show Orioles. These statues beat the heck out of bobbleheads. Now: when is the Randy Milligan statue being unveiled?

1. eknirb - May 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Giants already doing this–Mays last year, McCovey this year, prolly Marichal in ’13.

2. duluthbuttonhut - May 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

The Calvin and Hobbes reference just made my day….

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I absolutely love Camden Yards. I’ve been dying to go back.

4. nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

A college friend of mine from York, PA had a cassette tape of that Weaver radio “interview” back in ’88. It was hilarious then, and remains a classic to this day. The Earl of Freakin’ Baltimore….

5. quonce - May 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I know the Randy Milligan reference is made as joke, however he did hit 3 home runs in a game against the Yankees at old Memorial Stadium in 1990. I know this because I was at this game as this was my first live Orioles game. I grew up in Upstate NY and was 11 at the time.

If my memory serves me well, he got up for his chance at 4 but was intentionally walked and the place booed like crazy. Against the Yankees as well.

Oh the memories of an young Oriole fan from Upstate NY.

Randy Milligan will always hold a special place for me and yes, maybe he should have statue, Joe Orsulak, Phil Bradley, and Jeff Ballard while you are at it!

6. dowhatifeellike - May 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I miss watching games at OPACY. I never knew how good I had it until I moved away.

7. southpaw2k - May 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Oh Earl Weaver…they just don’t make them like they used to. I can’t wait to get these statues.

8. Loose Changeup - May 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM

*checks airfares*

The Ripken giveaway is for a Yankees game, and the Brooks is a Red Sox game. I guess that means those will show up on ebay in droves.

9. seeinred87 - May 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Thank you for directing me to that Earl Weaver interview. I had never heard it, and I don’t know how. Amazing.

10. Old Gator - May 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Bad move. They should have installed a series of giant bronze working bobbleheads.

11. mybrunoblog - May 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Apparently they are planning a Brady Anderson statue too. Just pour some PED’s on it and it will hit 50 home runs.

• Reflex - May 24, 2012 at 3:10 AM

The Yanks should unveil a Roger Maris PED statue too, because everyone knows that outlier seasons never occur without drugs.

12. dexterismyhero - May 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I want a Boog Powell statue.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester