May 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
When the Blue Jays signed Vladimir Guerrero to a minor-league contract earlier this month general manager Alex Anthopoulos tried to keep expectations low by saying the former MVP was no sure thing to be part of their big-league plans.
Since then Guerrero has been working out at the team’s minor-league complex in Florida and just a couple weeks later Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com writes that the Blue Jays calling him up now “seems like a mere formality after a string of glowing reports.”
It seems difficult to believe after watching Guerrero limp through the past several seasons, but according to Chisholm he’s “moving free and easy” and “it’s just a matter of getting his timing down at the plate before Guerrero is ready for the next step.”
Last season Guerrero hit .290, but it came with minimal power and non-existent plate discipline, leading to a career-worst .733 OPS that’s below average for a designated hitter. And at age 37 further decline is very possible, which is why Anthopoulos was hesitant to play up the signing as a major addition in the first place.
By waiving Adam Lind the Blue Jays potentially cleared a path for Guerrero, but first he’ll have to show some upside on a minor-league rehab assignment that could see him play at several levels.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)