May 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
When the Blue Jays signed Vladimir Guerrero to a minor-league contract earlier this month general manager Alex Anthopoulos tried to keep expectations low by saying the former MVP was no sure thing to be part of their big-league plans.
Since then Guerrero has been working out at the team’s minor-league complex in Florida and just a couple weeks later Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com writes that the Blue Jays calling him up now “seems like a mere formality after a string of glowing reports.”
It seems difficult to believe after watching Guerrero limp through the past several seasons, but according to Chisholm he’s “moving free and easy” and “it’s just a matter of getting his timing down at the plate before Guerrero is ready for the next step.”
Last season Guerrero hit .290, but it came with minimal power and non-existent plate discipline, leading to a career-worst .733 OPS that’s below average for a designated hitter. And at age 37 further decline is very possible, which is why Anthopoulos was hesitant to play up the signing as a major addition in the first place.
By waiving Adam Lind the Blue Jays potentially cleared a path for Guerrero, but first he’ll have to show some upside on a minor-league rehab assignment that could see him play at several levels.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)