May 23, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
It didn’t figure that Cody Ransom would have to go hunting for work after being designated for assignment and waived by the Diamondbacks; the Brewers claimed him off waivers today.
Fellow infielder Edwin Maysonet was sent down to open up a spot on Milwaukee’s roster.
Ransom, a 36-year-old journeyman, was a nice surprise for Arizona, hitting .269/.345/.577 with four homers and 13 RBI in 52 at-bats this season. Still, he had cooled recently and the Diamondbacks decided to give Josh Bell a shot in his place.
The Brewers had been looking for infield help all season and were particularly desperate with Alex Gonzalez now gone for the year. Ransom isn’t the defensive shortstop he used to be, but he still might get a look over Cesar Izturis at the position while also backing up at second and third.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)