May 23, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
It didn’t figure that Cody Ransom would have to go hunting for work after being designated for assignment and waived by the Diamondbacks; the Brewers claimed him off waivers today.
Fellow infielder Edwin Maysonet was sent down to open up a spot on Milwaukee’s roster.
Ransom, a 36-year-old journeyman, was a nice surprise for Arizona, hitting .269/.345/.577 with four homers and 13 RBI in 52 at-bats this season. Still, he had cooled recently and the Diamondbacks decided to give Josh Bell a shot in his place.
The Brewers had been looking for infield help all season and were particularly desperate with Alex Gonzalez now gone for the year. Ransom isn’t the defensive shortstop he used to be, but he still might get a look over Cesar Izturis at the position while also backing up at second and third.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)