May 23, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
It didn’t figure that Cody Ransom would have to go hunting for work after being designated for assignment and waived by the Diamondbacks; the Brewers claimed him off waivers today.
Fellow infielder Edwin Maysonet was sent down to open up a spot on Milwaukee’s roster.
Ransom, a 36-year-old journeyman, was a nice surprise for Arizona, hitting .269/.345/.577 with four homers and 13 RBI in 52 at-bats this season. Still, he had cooled recently and the Diamondbacks decided to give Josh Bell a shot in his place.
The Brewers had been looking for infield help all season and were particularly desperate with Alex Gonzalez now gone for the year. Ransom isn’t the defensive shortstop he used to be, but he still might get a look over Cesar Izturis at the position while also backing up at second and third.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (239)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)