May 23, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
It didn’t figure that Cody Ransom would have to go hunting for work after being designated for assignment and waived by the Diamondbacks; the Brewers claimed him off waivers today.
Fellow infielder Edwin Maysonet was sent down to open up a spot on Milwaukee’s roster.
Ransom, a 36-year-old journeyman, was a nice surprise for Arizona, hitting .269/.345/.577 with four homers and 13 RBI in 52 at-bats this season. Still, he had cooled recently and the Diamondbacks decided to give Josh Bell a shot in his place.
The Brewers had been looking for infield help all season and were particularly desperate with Alex Gonzalez now gone for the year. Ransom isn’t the defensive shortstop he used to be, but he still might get a look over Cesar Izturis at the position while also backing up at second and third.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)