May 23, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
It didn’t figure that Cody Ransom would have to go hunting for work after being designated for assignment and waived by the Diamondbacks; the Brewers claimed him off waivers today.
Fellow infielder Edwin Maysonet was sent down to open up a spot on Milwaukee’s roster.
Ransom, a 36-year-old journeyman, was a nice surprise for Arizona, hitting .269/.345/.577 with four homers and 13 RBI in 52 at-bats this season. Still, he had cooled recently and the Diamondbacks decided to give Josh Bell a shot in his place.
The Brewers had been looking for infield help all season and were particularly desperate with Alex Gonzalez now gone for the year. Ransom isn’t the defensive shortstop he used to be, but he still might get a look over Cesar Izturis at the position while also backing up at second and third.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 0
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 29
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 20
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)