Dylan Bundy earns promotion after 0.00 ERA in 30 innings

May 23, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT

Dylan Bundy AP

UPDATE: As expected, the Orioles have promoted Bundy from low Single-A to high Single-A.

==========

Dylan Bundy’s numbers at low Single-A are absolutely ridiculous, as the No. 4 pick in last year’s draft has thrown 30 innings with a 0.00 ERA and 40/2 K/BB ratio while allowing opponents to hit just .053.

I wrote about the Orioles prospect’s dominance earlier this week and the most common follow-up question was “why haven’t they promoted him yet?”

There’s no rush with Bundy, as he’s just 19 years old, but sure enough Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun reports that “the Orioles are getting ready to promote” Bundy “and it appears he’ll move up just one level to the High-A Frederick Keys.”

I’m sure there’s a certain segment of the fan base upset that he isn’t moving up to Double-A or higher, but having a 19-year-old pitching prospect go level-to-level in his first pro season is pretty standard even when he’s putting up video game numbers.

1. Ben - May 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I was going to say “In before someone says ‘video game numbers,”‘ but Aaron beat me to it.

2. Joe - May 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

There may be no rush, but there’s also no point in having him retire 90% of the batters he faces.

• hiltonandastoria - May 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

*94.5%
      fixed

• Joe - May 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

99 Batters faced
        5H + 2BB + 2 HBP = 9 batters reached
        99 batters faced – 9 batters reached = 90 batters retired*
        90/99 = 90.9%

*I did not research batters who reached on errors.

• hiltonandastoria - May 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Only 90.9? I thought he was better than that. How on Earth did I get 94.5?

Cole, Hultzen, Bauer, Bundy are all looking like winners so far

3. southpaw2k - May 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Bundy’s stats transcend video game numbers. I’ve played many baseball video games in my life, but I don’t think I’ve ever dominated opposing offenses the way Bundy has so far. I’d even go so far as to say that “dominating” isn’t the proper word to describe what he’s done to date. He’s made single-A hitters his collective b*tches. I’d love to see him continue at this freakish pace in Frederick.

4. eutawstreetblues - May 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I went to his start on Sunday and wrote up my thoughts on his performance. I detailed his pitch selection and go into why he may need to be pushed up a level, which looks like it’s happening. Here’s the link.

• brewcitybummer - May 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Interesting write up. Especially the part stating that the Orioles want Bundy using his secondary pitches more. That seems contrary to what Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks seem to have been saying on the Baseball Prospectus podcast. Essentially, they feel that its normal for a club to tell a young pitcher in low A to just use his fastball so that he can master that pitch build arm strength.

• eutawstreetblues - May 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Thanks. I listen to the Up and In Podcast too. It’s a great listen and really informative. They’ve also said recently that the minor leagues are purely for developmental purposes and the results aren’t nearly as important as developing the player for the major leagues. I think the most important thing for Bundy’s development is working on his secondary pitches.

Besides some of the quotes from Duquette and Rick Peterson stating that they’d like him to use his offspeed stuff more, there was also this tweet from Dylan Bundy’s father Denver:

Denver Bundy ‏@Denver_Bundy
        Dilemma, we want you to throw change-ups because the hitters can catch up with that and justify keeping you down.

The organization must be telling him to throw more changeups and curveballs, but he just doesn’t feel the need to because he’ getting guys out without them. Sounds like his father is frustrated. I hope Dylan understands the situation and isn’t feeling the same way.

• Joe - May 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

It always concerns me when the fathers feel the need to share their opinions.

5. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Don’t rush him please. I like what the O’s are doing with him. 40 pitch count and all. I’d like to see him in the bigs at 22. The maturity level is significant from 19-22yrs old. Let him do his thing and build his confidence to its peak. Once a young player loses confidence because you rush him too quickly, it’s hard to get back. Just ask Brian Matusz who maybe getting his back now after one of the worst seasons a pitcher can have period.

• randomdigits - May 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM

22? You want this kid to spend three whole years in the minors?

If he is what he is supposed to be that will be a terrible waste of his talent and the remaining time Wieters is under team control.

He *should* be ready by May/June, just make sure he stays down long enough to get that seventh year of team control. No reason to worry about super 2 status.

6. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

They certainly don’t need to rush him. But as someone else stated…there is also no point in having at so low a level that he is retiring 90% of the batter he faces either.
    One more thing…the Baltimore Sun writer’s name is really Peter Schmuck?

• cleverbob - May 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

With a surname like that, you’d think he’d assume a pen name. Unless that is his pen name, in which case I’m completely confused.

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yeah really Bob. I guess if that is your surname…you might as well embrace it.
        His Schmuck Meter (see Southpaws comment) could have also been called “Schmuckisms.”

• southpaw2k - May 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Yes, it really is Peter Schmuck, and it’s not any kind of pseudonym as far as I know. He used to have a weekly Schmuck Meter in his column where he recapped quotes of the week and gave his reaction of how much BS there was in them. He’s actually a fun read, and I’d recommend reading his Schmuck Blog.

• stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I will have to look him up Southpaw. Thanks for the heads up.

7. genericcommenter - May 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I used to go to a lot of Shorebirds games. I haven’t really kept up with them in 5-6 years, but if this kid pans out I am thinking he will be the first Orioles pitcher to come through Delmarva and end-up doing anything at all. To be fair, he’s probably the biggest prospect by far, too.

My bad- I think Bedard spent some time there, but he didn’t come close to dominating anything, even at low single A.

The team was an Expos affiliate for 1 year, then the Os 15 years since. I’m pretty sure the Expos developed more major league players from that 1996 team than the Orioles have in all the years since. Sucked being an Os fan and hoping to see any kids on their way up to Baltimore. Instead I was left rooting for the careers of Orlando Cabrera! and Javier Vazquez. Well, I did get to see that light-hitting, base-stealing catcher Jayson Werth, who never played a game for Baltimore. And the 1st Round million dollar running back Darnell McDonald, who finally made a team as a 5th OFer 13 years later.

• wlschneider09 - May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Second that. I see the games in Frederick, and there haven’t been a whole lot of Orioles pitching prospects that impressed me. Matusz included.

Can’t wait to see Bundy. And normally I’m not a big prospect follower.

• jwbiii - May 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

generic, this might interest you:

You’re right, that ’96 Montreal affiliate team had some players on it.

8. genericcommenter - May 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Oh, yeah. I also remember Matt Riley dominating ( though not to this extent) as an 18 year-old and starting for the Os 1 month after his 20th birthday, but he had control/head/injury issues. I think he became a reliever and had multiple Tommy Johns.

9. Old Gator - May 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Bundy.

Wasn’t that the babysitter who built birdhouses or something?

10. ndnut - May 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Doesn’t 40/2=20/1?

11. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Weiters will be 26-27 by that time. That’s called prime. Look at all the catchers in MLB history that hit their peak at that age. Posada, Rodriguez, Piazza & even farther back, Fisk, Bench, Berra, Campanella. All in their prime at 26-27yrs old. Any questions?

12. bmorethansteel - May 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM

And BTW, Weiters isn’t going anywhere. His & Jones contract will be taken care of. Weiters is still locked for 1 more year

13. rico7207 - May 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Where he was pitching makes it all squat.Guys can’t even hold a bat down there.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto