May 23, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
El Caribe in the Dominican Republic reports that Juan Carlos Oviedo has finally received his work visa and the Marlins reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez will soon make his way to the United States nearly six months after being charged with identity fraud.
However, don’t expect to see him in the Marlins’ bullpen any time soon. Once he arrives Oviedo will begin serving an eight-week suspension and continue losing out on his $6 million salary.
Oviedo was the Marlins’ closer for the past three seasons, saving 92 games before the team pushed him out of the ninth-inning role and signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million deal. If healthy and effective Oviedo could emerge as a setup man for Bell, but he’s two months from even being on the Marlins’ radar and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since September 21.
UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes has a slightly different report, saying that Oviedo has received a pardon from the U.S. State Department that is necessary before getting a visa but has not gotten the actual visa yet.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 92
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)