Juan Carlos Oviedo close to getting work visa, must still serve eight-week suspension

May 23, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Leo Nunez - Juan Carlos Oviedo AP

El Caribe in the Dominican Republic reports that Juan Carlos Oviedo has finally received his work visa and the Marlins reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez will soon make his way to the United States nearly six months after being charged with identity fraud.

However, don’t expect to see him in the Marlins’ bullpen any time soon. Once he arrives Oviedo will begin serving an eight-week suspension and continue losing out on his $6 million salary.

Oviedo was the Marlins’ closer for the past three seasons, saving 92 games before the team pushed him out of the ninth-inning role and signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million deal. If healthy and effective Oviedo could emerge as a setup man for Bell, but he’s two months from even being on the Marlins’ radar and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since September 21.

UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes has a slightly different report, saying that Oviedo has received a pardon from the U.S. State Department that is necessary before getting a visa but has not gotten the actual visa yet.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I think he has a chance to close again if the Marlins consider execution over salary going forward.

2. The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The suspension doesn’t make any sense. He’s already missed all this time and hasn’t gotten paid.

MLB is imposing harsher penalties than the Department of Justice. Bud really is heading into Goodell territory.

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

So let me get this straight…. Manny gets a 100 game suspension for CHEATING but since he took the pu**y way out and “retired” MLB decided to allow him only a 50 game suspension. this guy, who’s offense was strictly federal (not baseball related) has already missed the first to months had to miss two more? makes sense to me….

3. El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I can’t wait to pick up Leo Nunez as my new closer again.

4. hiltonandastoria - May 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Wonder if he knows “Albert Pujols’” real name and age

5. kiwicricket - May 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

In all seriousness, how does a foreigner get a work visa to the States, after being charged with identity fraud only 6 months ago???!!!

I’m a foreign citizen wanting to come to the States and work….yet it will take me many thousands, and 2 months minimum(best case scenario). If you declared a minor conviction, your chances would be almost nil.

Dam, Bud must have some good friends somewhere.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I wonder the same thing. I expect you’ll have a full report of your findings on my desk Monday morning along with your overdue TPS report…mmmmkay?

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

It’s considere a unique skill in a specialty occupation. He wouldn’t be allowed to work at any kind of normal job.

• kiwicricket - May 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

You are dulling my plans of acquiring a dubious alias.

• Reflex - May 24, 2012 at 3:24 AM

kiwicricket – I seem to remember you are female, you are into baseball, and generally a smart poster….

Wanna shortcut to the front of the immigration line? ;)

6. jimmymarlinsfan - May 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Clearly none of you have seen how Heath Bell has thrown the ball recently…there is a reason why he had all those saves in San Diego

I think Oviedo has already done his time and should be allowed to get back to baseball activities ASAP. I think he could push Mujica for the Set up job if Ryan Webb isn’t already

I know gator lurks somewhere in the Internet depths, what do you think?

• Old Gator - May 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

(Exhaling a stream of bubbles and choking down an inadequately chewed cooter) I think the additional suspension is idiotic, but what do you expect from Bud Light who is, after all, an idiot? The Mujic Man has been kinda shaky of late, too. I hope Leo…er…Juan, or whomever he is, has been keeping in shape and can step in as soon as possible.

Kiwi, I feel for you – when we were in the process of getting my British wife her green card, and then her citizenship, we dealt with all kinds of obnoxious, inconsiderate revenants up at Immigration (of whom, incidentally, we discovered – to our delight – that the much smarter, more professional staff of the US Customs service are all but universally contemptuous). I don’t think that I’ve ever been as close to homicidal as I was a couple of times while dealing with those scumbags at INS. All that notwithstanding, yeah, it’ll cost you to get past them, but on the brighter side of schadenfreude , whaddya wanna bet that it has already cost, and will continue to cost, poor old Juan Leo, or Carlos Juan, ot whatever, a whole helluva lot more than it’s going to wind up costing you?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3492)