May 23, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Berkman’s surgery is set for tomorrow morning, says Strauss.
Lance Berkman told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’ll undergo knee surgery either tomorrow or Friday, but rather than have the operation in Colorado as expected he’ll instead go under the knife in Houston.
Berkman still lives in Houston after spending a dozen years with the Astros and explained: “I just thought it made sense to have everything happen here if possible.”
Berkman and the Cardinals have disagreed about the extent of the damage to his ACL, so there won’t be an official recovery timetable until the surgeon gets a closer look. At the very least he has a torn meniscus and ACL stretching, and the best-case scenario would likely involve a return in 6-8 weeks.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)