May 23, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Berkman’s surgery is set for tomorrow morning, says Strauss.
Lance Berkman told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’ll undergo knee surgery either tomorrow or Friday, but rather than have the operation in Colorado as expected he’ll instead go under the knife in Houston.
Berkman still lives in Houston after spending a dozen years with the Astros and explained: “I just thought it made sense to have everything happen here if possible.”
Berkman and the Cardinals have disagreed about the extent of the damage to his ACL, so there won’t be an official recovery timetable until the surgeon gets a closer look. At the very least he has a torn meniscus and ACL stretching, and the best-case scenario would likely involve a return in 6-8 weeks.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (196)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)