May 23, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
UPDATE: Berkman’s surgery is set for tomorrow morning, says Strauss.
Lance Berkman told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’ll undergo knee surgery either tomorrow or Friday, but rather than have the operation in Colorado as expected he’ll instead go under the knife in Houston.
Berkman still lives in Houston after spending a dozen years with the Astros and explained: “I just thought it made sense to have everything happen here if possible.”
Berkman and the Cardinals have disagreed about the extent of the damage to his ACL, so there won’t be an official recovery timetable until the surgeon gets a closer look. At the very least he has a torn meniscus and ACL stretching, and the best-case scenario would likely involve a return in 6-8 weeks.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (106)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)