May 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Things the Cardinals don’t need right now: more injuries. But they have one, as Matt Carpenter hurt his oblique muscle and had to leave the game after hitting a double last night. Carpenter, who was starting for the struggling David Freese, will have an MRI today.
The Cardinals already have lost Lance Berkman for an extended period. Carpenter stood to get some if not most of the time at first base in Berkman’s absence, but based on his reaction as he left the batter’s box, he appears to have a pretty serious injury. He was hitting .282/.350/.505 with three homers and 20 driven in while splitting time between first, third and the outfield.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)