May 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Things the Cardinals don’t need right now: more injuries. But they have one, as Matt Carpenter hurt his oblique muscle and had to leave the game after hitting a double last night. Carpenter, who was starting for the struggling David Freese, will have an MRI today.
The Cardinals already have lost Lance Berkman for an extended period. Carpenter stood to get some if not most of the time at first base in Berkman’s absence, but based on his reaction as he left the batter’s box, he appears to have a pretty serious injury. He was hitting .282/.350/.505 with three homers and 20 driven in while splitting time between first, third and the outfield.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)