May 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Things the Cardinals don’t need right now: more injuries. But they have one, as Matt Carpenter hurt his oblique muscle and had to leave the game after hitting a double last night. Carpenter, who was starting for the struggling David Freese, will have an MRI today.
The Cardinals already have lost Lance Berkman for an extended period. Carpenter stood to get some if not most of the time at first base in Berkman’s absence, but based on his reaction as he left the batter’s box, he appears to have a pretty serious injury. He was hitting .282/.350/.505 with three homers and 20 driven in while splitting time between first, third and the outfield.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 20
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 70
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)