May 23, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Things the Cardinals don’t need right now: more injuries. But they have one, as Matt Carpenter hurt his oblique muscle and had to leave the game after hitting a double last night. Carpenter, who was starting for the struggling David Freese, will have an MRI today.
The Cardinals already have lost Lance Berkman for an extended period. Carpenter stood to get some if not most of the time at first base in Berkman’s absence, but based on his reaction as he left the batter’s box, he appears to have a pretty serious injury. He was hitting .282/.350/.505 with three homers and 20 driven in while splitting time between first, third and the outfield.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)