May 23, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
Another day, another Cardinal on the disabled list.
Matt Carpenter left last night’s game with a strained oblique muscle and the Cardinals have placed him on the shelf, calling up Steven Hill from Triple-A to serve as a third catcher. Hill has also played some first base and outfield, so he could move around a bit off the bench.
Carpenter would have been in line for significant playing time at third base and first base, but instead his injury all but guarantees fellow rookie Matt Adams will be an everyday player while the Cardinals wait to hear exactly how long Lance Berkman will be out following knee surgery.
Before the injury Carpenter hit .282 with three homers and an .875 OPS in 39 games after finally getting his first extended chance in the majors at age 26.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)