May 23, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Another day, another Cardinal on the disabled list.
Matt Carpenter left last night’s game with a strained oblique muscle and the Cardinals have placed him on the shelf, calling up Steven Hill from Triple-A to serve as a third catcher. Hill has also played some first base and outfield, so he could move around a bit off the bench.
Carpenter would have been in line for significant playing time at third base and first base, but instead his injury all but guarantees fellow rookie Matt Adams will be an everyday player while the Cardinals wait to hear exactly how long Lance Berkman will be out following knee surgery.
Before the injury Carpenter hit .282 with three homers and an .875 OPS in 39 games after finally getting his first extended chance in the majors at age 26.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11