May 23, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Initial reports about Cody Ross‘ fractured foot suggested he could miss two months, but the outfielder said yesterday that he already felt significantly better and now some members of the Red Sox are hoping he could make a much speedier recovery.
Or as manager Bobby Valentine put it to Alex Speier of WEEI.com: “At worst case, it’s not as bad as we thought it was yesterday. At best case, it’s much better. At worst case, it seems like it’s a couple of weeks.”
That’s quite a change from a couple of months, and sure enough general manager Ben Cherington later tried to downplay talk of Ross returning that soon by explaining that “there’s a risk of it getting worse” if he rushes things.
Cherington did say that Ross could return “towards the early part” of a 6-8 week recovery timetable, but for now at least it sounds like Valentine was a tad optimistic.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)