May 23, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Initial reports about Cody Ross‘ fractured foot suggested he could miss two months, but the outfielder said yesterday that he already felt significantly better and now some members of the Red Sox are hoping he could make a much speedier recovery.
Or as manager Bobby Valentine put it to Alex Speier of WEEI.com: “At worst case, it’s not as bad as we thought it was yesterday. At best case, it’s much better. At worst case, it seems like it’s a couple of weeks.”
That’s quite a change from a couple of months, and sure enough general manager Ben Cherington later tried to downplay talk of Ross returning that soon by explaining that “there’s a risk of it getting worse” if he rushes things.
Cherington did say that Ross could return “towards the early part” of a 6-8 week recovery timetable, but for now at least it sounds like Valentine was a tad optimistic.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)