Round 2 of Cole Hamels vs. Bryce Harper is tonight

May 23, 2012, 2:48 PM EST

round-2

Tonight is Round 2 of Bryce Harper vs. Cole Hamels as the Nationals and Phillies square off in Philadelphia, but both sides are trying their best to downplay the situation that resulted in endless headlines and a suspension for Hamels the first time they met.

Hamels has declined to comment other than to now claim that his hitting Harper on May 6 was actually unintentional–sorry Cole, that ship has long since sailed–and Harper told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he doesn’t expect another incident:

I don’t even think about that. It’s a new series, a new day. I have a lot of respect for everybody in that other dugout. They’re an All-Star team … guys who are All-Stars who have been in this league for a long time.

Earlier this week Harper also praised Phillies fans while joking about their battery-throwing past and Philadelphia added extra ballpark security in the outfield to avoid any issues, so on paper at least Round 2 might end up being just another matchup between one of baseball’s best left-handers and one of baseball’s best young hitters.

Assuming, of course, that no one feels the sudden urge to be “old school.”

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Harper now knows how to play two games well; baseball, and how to handle the media.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Harper knows how to listen to the guys who are telling him how to handle the media. Those would be the guys signing his paycheck.

• hep3 - May 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Is that like Crash Davis helping Nuke LaLoosh with his cliche’s?

“We gotta play ‘em one game at a time.”

• hammyofdoom - May 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

And while that sounds like a “Well, duh” kinda thing, there are a TON of baseball players who don’t listen to those people. Remember, Carl Everett doesn’t believe in dinosaurs

2. CJ - May 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

This time it won’t be an intentional beaning, just a re-enactment of harper’s GQ photoshoot:

3. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Ok, 20 on Hamels.

4. metalhead65 - May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I hope Harper takes him deep and then walks around the bases after. he has already been beaned why not do something to earn it?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

He should moonwalk.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

When did he get beaned? I thought he got hit in the leg?

• chadjones27 - May 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Harper got hit in the back by Hamels. Hamels got hit in the leg as retaliation. Problem solved. There should be no more on this subject… unfortunately there is though.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

because he’s not the dick that a lot of people think he is.

• metalhead65 - May 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

true but even if he did walk around or do something else I would still not consider him one as hammels has it coming.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I agree with metalhead65!

Mark this statement in stone because this is beyond a “once in a blue moon” sort of thing.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Hamels got Harper at the bottom part of the 4 on his back last time. Maybe tonight he’ll go for the 3, mix things up a bit.

6. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - May 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

How long till someone complains about you writing even more about the whole “Hamel beaning Harper” issue? I’ll give it an hour. Note: this is not a complaint and therefore doesn’t count.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

This is Aaron’s post and, as far as I know, he hasn’t been beating this drum at all.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - May 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM

What are you smokin Cuban B? I didn’t say anything about Craig or Aaron. I see you got 2 thumbs up so far. Must be 1 from you and one from Abba-Zabba, cause I know he’s your only friend.

7. xmatt0926x - May 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Aaron, as someone stated a couple days ago when Craig ran the story where Cole said it was unintentional, I think his intention was to say the whole firestorm that resulted from the beaning was unintentional, not the pitch itself.

8. nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Suffice to say, round one clearly went to Harper.

• chadjones27 - May 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Macroscopically, yes. (I just wanted to use a big word) Harper won the battle. However, Cole then shut down the Nats for the rest of the game. But, the Nats have pretty much shut the Phils down in all the other games.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Harper should throw a bat at Hamels. It is no less dangerous than throwing a baseball at someone.

Apparently, there is no written rule about it. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_rule_for_throwing_a_baseball_bat

I tried looking it up in the unwritten rules, but I couldn’t find anything.

10. mybrunoblog - May 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Harper takes Hamels in the 4th round.

11. rakattack98 - May 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

As much a people want to hate on Harper, he has shown nothing but professionalism since has been brought up (minus the bat and face marriage that took place) and has constantly risen to occasion. No situation is too big for him, so I cannot wait to see what he does tonight after handling Halladay last night.

12. charlutes - May 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Rabble rabble, repeat old story with no developments, rabble, repeat snide dig on those who use the phrase old school baseball, rabble, rinse repeat.

13. jimmymarlinsfan - May 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Hamels hit Harper in the back and last time I checked, that wasn’t life threatening. This is much ado about nothing and Hamels was only suspended because he admitted he hit him on purpose

14. phillyphan83 - May 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I don’t know who told you the Phils added more outfield security but I was at game 1 of this series on Monday, sat in dead center, section 148, and noticed absolutely no extra security, nor was there a need for it. No one got out of hand, maybe because it was raining and we all went into McFaddens to watch the sixers lose.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Finally, a funny and fun comment.

15. cleverbob - May 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I’d say Hamels won the night.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester