Roy Halladay says Carlos Ruiz is the Phillies’ best player; says the Phillies have great chemistry

May 23, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Roy Halladay

Roy Halladay spoke at length with the media after last night’s loss. A lot of Phillies fans sent me the article quoting him because of the stuff he said about the state of the team and all of that.  It’s interesting in its own right because Halladay has never been the most loquacious player.

But I found his stuff about Carlos Ruiz‘s ejection for arguing balls and strikes while on defense the most interesting:

“He didn’t turn around, he didn’t get in his face, he didn’t use obscene language,” Halladay said. “He simply said the pitch was a strike. He said it a couple times. I don’t know. I’ve never seen one like that before. And it’s unfortunate, because he’s our best player and he gets run out of the game, really for saying a pitch is a strike. I’ve never seen one like that.

David Murphy noted his surprise at the quote, as it’s rare that you hear someone calling Chooch the Phillies’ “best player.”  He may very well be given how well he’s hitting at a premium defensive position, but it’s not something you hear very often. As Murphy says, you hear a lot of Ruiz being underrated or important or that he’s the “heart and soul,” but a flat-out declaration that he’s “the best” is interesting.

Also interesting: Halladay said the Phillies have “great chemistry.” Which is something people rarely say about a team that’s struggling. It’s usually some post-hoc description of a team that’s doing great, with the chemistry being the result of the relaxation that comes from success.  I usually call b.s. on that, but I think it’s way more significant when it comes from a player as opposed to a reporter. And way more significant when it happens when things aren’t going well as opposed to when they are.

1. natsattack - May 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Sick Burn:
    MLB’s starting pitcher write up for the Nats-Braves:
    Mike Minor:
    The long ball has been Minor’s nemesis in the last month. He has allowed multiple home runs in four of his past five starts, including giving up four solo shots to Cincinnati in his last start. Still, his ERA dropped after that outing.

Ouch. That comes in a close second in Brave-related burns.

• Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Wrong thread here…?

2. kopy - May 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It’s ridiculous trying to claim Ruiz is the Phillies’ best player without stating how large his bicepts are.

• CJ - May 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

sounds like a great handle for the ‘cepts comeback tour.

3. Gonzo - May 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

He didn’t turn around completely. But he did turn 90 degrees (His face was facing the dugout from the centerfield camera view). He turned once. Then back to the pitcher. The turned again to talk for 10 seconds before being tossed. He didn’t get animated at all. His English is so bad, I bet the ump misunderstood him.

At any rate, he deserved to get tossed. You just can’t argue balls and strikes. Whilst screaming or in a calm manner. And the ump gave him a long rope before ejecting him.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Asking about the pitches in a non-heated manner is professional enough to not deserve to be kicked out of the game. Umpires kick people out way too often for too many “reasons”, and it needs to be stopped. I really want MLB to lay the gavel down on these guys and work out ways where umpires can be held as accountable as everyone else. Enough is enough.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Could you read his lips through his mask the entire game? Do you know how long he was complaining? Do you know everything he said? Do you know that people can be rude and disrespectful withou facing the other person or raising their voice? Do you know how many times the umpire told him to let it go? Do you know how often the umpire warned him? Do you know exactly what Ruiz was complaining about?

When you can answer all of those questions, you can question whether or not it was right to eject him. Until then, you don’t know.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Do you know that you can make your point in more respectful ways?

I was mostly eluding to the point that umpires tend to eject a lot of folks rather quickly these days. Feel free to respectfully disagree.

• Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

No. You don’t know how long he was “complaining.” Or whether he was complaining at all. You also can’t tell how long the umpire was conversing with him about it. You also don’t know whether the umpire said anything else to Ruiz. Truth be told, the only ones who know what did really go down are Ruiz and Cederstrom. But that doesn’t really matter, does it TBI? As long as nobody bad mouths an umpire, right?

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I didn’t say that, and you never heard me say it. What I’ve said is most of you guys are too quick to jump all over the umpires for (your) percieved faults while giving players and managers a pass for doing the same thing.

When you call both sides out (as I have done repeatedly) it makes your argument much stronger. You, however, refuse to believe that the players and mangers (particularly your Phillies and Charlie Manuel) are not demi-gods, and can be wrong many times themselves, as well as being being jerks than the umpires in many instances.

Do you understand that Charlie Manuel doesn’t give a shit about you or your attempts to excuse his bad behavior?

• Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I have never seen you call out an umpire for acting like an a$$. The best I can come up with is that you didn’t—at least before the last time I checked—comment on Davidson’s suspension over the weekend.

Where have I called, alluded to, or referred to the Phightins or Chuck as demigods who can do no wrong? Or whether they would care a lick about what I have to say? (On the flip side, do you think Cowboy Joe, Balkin’ Bob or any of the others care a lick about you or what you think? I highly doubt that they do.)

As I said last week, everybody connected to baseball is human and do err. My problem is when the umpires make themselves into the story.

Do I know what happened last night? No. All I know is that Chooch turned around slightly and then he was tossed. Was it wrong on either his or Cederstrom’s part? I don’t know.

All I know is that somebody badmouthed an umpire, and you blindly defended him. Again. And then took shots at me when I called you out on it. Again.

• paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM

“He gone.”

-Hawk Harrelson on the dead horse that is still being beaten.

• Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

It looked to me like Ruiz was trying to make him change his call back to a strike. “Hey Mang, that was a strike. You put it back to strike now. No? You put it back to strike now or I tell Roy to put one in you neck. I mean it Mang, change it back now. ”

At least that’s how I’d like to remember it. But yeah, he probably asked for it.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Or perhaps “arglebrglefrgle, mang” ?

My favorite of all time out of chooch ” He hang it, I bang it”

4. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

5. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

hunter pence needs better chemistry with that fast ball above the letters. or less chemistry?? which one would keep him from swinging at it?

you can have all the chemistry you want in the locker room but it doesn’t matter to anything when you turn in bad at-bat after bad at-bat.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Nice handle!

6. nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

God help the team whose best player is Carlos Ruiz.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Ruiz’s WAR is higher than any position player on 15 teams, including your Nationals.

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

He’s a phine player. I was just having some phun at the expense of all the overly defensive Phils phans……like you, phor instance.

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You’re right, universally respected by some of the best pitchers the game has to offer?

Terrible, just terrible.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM

riiiiigght… how many posts today are you going to have that are “having fun at the fans expense?”

seems like that’s all you do… find a hobby.

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Lighten up, it’s just a game. Unless of course you are Carlos’ brother, in which case I apologize…….I guess.

Phreakin’ Phillies phans……

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Maybe it’s time for you to step away from the game for a while (or at least this site). You seem to take all of this way too seriously. In a way, baseball is a hobby…..a diversion, if you will. Lighten up. Even when the Phils lose, the sun still comes up the next day.

• xmatt0926x - May 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Nolan, a Phillies fan coming back at an opposing teams fan is being overly defensive and taking themselves too seriously yet the opposing teams fan who has nothing better to do than constantly troll is somehow a better position to be in? Yeah. That makes sense. Keep up the good work.

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

“God help the team whose best player is Carlos Ruiz.”

It was a joke….did I personally insult anybody? Does ‘hisgirlgotburelled’ play for the Phillies? Do you? Are you related to Carlos Ruiz? Your a fan of a baseball team. Get some perspective (and a sense of humor).

• craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Ahhhh 1 of the three heartless Nat fans….Hey Wiffle….I’m still laughing!!!!! all by myself…..and loving it!

7. Charles Gates - May 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Of the regulars, Ruiz has the highest BA, OBP, OPS and OPS+, RBIs and is second in HRs. Has the most hit by pitches and IBBs. His bb-ref WAR is 1.9. 2nd place is Hamels at 1.4. The next highest hitter is Victorino at 0.9. Yea, Chooch is the Phils best player so far.

• Charles Gates - May 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Has been the best player so far. Sucks to your gra-mmar, Piggy.

• sasquash20 - May 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Not to mention he is a solid defensive catcher who calls as good a game as any catcher in baseball.

8. b7p19 - May 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I would expect a team whose best player is Carlos Ruiz to be under .500….oh, really? OK, i’ll buy it.

9. illcomm - May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Pence is doing just fine. He is on pace for 40 Hr n 120 Rbis. his avg is low, but that just comes with the four spot.

• Jack - May 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

not how it works….

• chadjones27 - May 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

It is when your normal 4 hole hitter is sitting on a stool in Florida fielding grounders. Pence is just taking over from where Howard left off, swinging at bad pitches out of the strike zone.

• paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

….and being over-value by Philly Phans. :-P

I’m sorry. Honest, I just couldn’t help it.

10. natsattack - May 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I’m sorry, whose team is 26-17, 5.5 games ahead of the Phillies, and whose team is 13-3 in the last 16 games vs. The Phillies?

• xmatt0926x - May 23, 2012 at 3:53 PM

natsattack, your teams current record and it’s record against the Phillies is as meaningful as the 20,000 or so fans who “took back the park” recently. At least get through half a season of winning baseball before you fall in love. None of it means anything if your not playing in October for something meaningful.

• craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Oh god, this is a total trip to see a Nats fan bragging about their record! Enjoy it while it lasts. And by the look of your teams attendance…it won’t be long.

11. makeham98 - May 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Tony LaRussa teams had the best chemistry. He was unaware, of course.

12. flyinhighwithvick - May 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I think he means that Ruiz is the best player on the Phillies RIGHT NOW….and he is. He’s great defensively, and he’s batting over .340. And David Murphy is a complete tool.

13. phillyphan83 - May 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM

so nolanwiffle, let me get this right…you say things to get under our skin and piss us off, then criticize us for having the exact reaction you’re searching for?? yeah, cuz that’s normal. you’re a douche

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Are you actually pissed off because I made a sarcastic remark about the catcher of the Philadelphia Phillies?

Please feel free to call any member of the Nationals any name you wish. You can also tell me they’re horrible baseball players. I promise you, I won’t give a frog’s fat ass.

14. CJ - May 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

blue, that’s way too big…I was thinking something more along these lines.

15. CJ - May 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

doh wrong thread…how’d I manage that

16. Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Must be about the 7th inning. CJ is flagged.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3302)