There was some extended commercial-free baseball on Monday night

May 23, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

old TV

If this sort of thing keeps up Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce is gonna go out of business. And if they don’t have jobs, they might turn to drink and other bad behavior!

On Monday night at Miller Park, the Brewers played the Giants in a 14-inning game that lasted 4 hours 34 minutes. San Francisco won, 4-3. It must have seemed a lot longer than that to the Fox Sports Wisconsin crew that handled the game because between innings three and 13, there were no commercials. The telecast went from about 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. without them … In the St. Louis market, the Padres at Cardinals broadcast on Fox Sports Midwest had to take the Fox Sports San Diego feed, so Cardinals fans heard Padres announcer Dick Enberg call the game, also commercial free.

Seems there was some sort of technical problem at a Fox which prevented the regional cable outlets from going to commercials.

They did some random segments and things. But really, to make some extra money they should have done live voice-over commercials like they did in old time radio and in the early days of television.  Like, Dick Enberg spends the time between innings talking about the “rich tobacco flavor” of Chesterfields  or something.

1. mississippimusicman - May 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM

FS South had the same problem with the Braves-Rays game. Apparently “network control” (that’s what Joe Simpson said) was having problems, and so Fox Sports broadcasts were kinda borked all night.

2. theman1932 - May 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Fox Sports Ohio went the second half of the Braves-Reds game Monday night without commercials. Tuesday’ first inning they had the Atlanta announcers calling the game but switched to the Cincinnati announcers by the bottom of the 1st.

3. normcash - May 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Maybe somebody can fill in the tehnical details, but I believe every Fox regional sports
    channel is controlled from a facility in Houston. So, for example, when FS Detroit does a
    Tigers game, the signals go from the ballpark—or Detroit studio–to Houston where ads are
    inserted between innings and Houston then uploads the “finished” program to a satellite
    for distribution to cable systems. Does anyone know whether the signals to Houston
    are via fiber or satellite? Seems a complicated way to do things, but I guess it must make
    business sense—until glitches develop! MLB.tv must take the raw feed from stadium production
    trucks because when an in-game studio update occurs you never see or hear it. I find all this stuff
    fasciating….maybe somebody out there who’s knowledge about how it all works can post a detailed
    description….

Almost 30 years ago I bought a big backyard dish and could get the raw satellite feeds—it was fun to
    listen to the announcers chit-chat between innings. Then those MLB spoilsports mandated that
    such feeds had to to be encrypted :-(

• sportsdrenched.com - May 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I remember my parents having one of those when I was a kid. You had to move the dish to “dial in” the actual satalite.

I remember commercial free sporting events, finding “other” channels that I probably would have had my hide tanned had I been caught watching, and that I had Comedy Central before freinds or anyone else at school did. I was actually bumbed when Comedy Central went main stream. It was our little secret for so long.

4. paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Funny, I was watching that Cardinal game on MLB.TV, which defaults to the home broadcast, I had the sound off so I could enjoy the game, and for quite a while there was a message on the screen that said they were experiencing audio difficulties….I just assumed it was an apology for the horrendous broadcasters the Cardinals employ, and appreciated the sympathy from Fox, who must know a lot of people watch those games with the sound off…looks like I was mistaken.

• The Rabbit - May 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I gotta tell you Lions that I think it’s all relative.
      After being sujected to Hawk Harrelson, Chris Wheeler (Phillies), John Sterling/Suzyn Waldman (Yankees) and the newest Royals announcer Rex Hudler who makes me want to shoot my TV after 10 seconds of his inane comments, I can easily listen to Al Hrabosky without wanting to stick ice picks in both ears.
      BTW-I didn’t think the Padres broadcasters the other night were great either but they weren’t offensive.

• paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

You’ve got a point. Crappy announcers are okay in small doses, their idiosyncrasies and uniquely poor observations and fabrications about baseball can be entertaining for their novelty….but if you have to listen to the same shtick game-after-game and year-after-year (like me listening to Hrabosky and (to a lesser extent) McLaughlin)…it gets progressively more painful and tedious. When I do have the sound on I typically switch to the opponents broadcast team.

Hawk Harrelson cracks me up for a few innings at a time, he is such a giant homer that it entertains me to see exactly how dumb a comment he can make….but if I had to listen to him every game it would drive me nuts.

In any case, plenty of bad announcers out there to ignore. It just doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to find guys that are good at talking about baseball, and whose commentary enhance the enjoyment of it by providing additional insights….apparently, it is an impossible task.

• sportsdrenched.com - May 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I think it’s one of those things where there are too many jobs availible for the people that can actually do the job. It’s like sales people. 80% of sales people are bad at it. However, Every company needs a sales force so they go with warm bodies when they have to in the hope that they find those 1 out of 5 that’s actually good.

• paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

He spent 3 years in the minors, only 2011 was in AAA. There is nothing “finally” about his chance to play in the majors. “Finally” in that context, implies a long wait. No such wait existed. He moved through the minors at a pretty quick pace for a guy taken in the 13 round.

Words mean thing, and if you are going to earn your living by them (e.g. as a blogger), then you should learn to use them to convey proper meaning. In this case, the author either did a poor job of conveying information or was not aware of the proper information to begin with.

In other news, the final game of the Cardinal-Padre series is FINALLY going to be played tonight.

• paperlions - May 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Grrrr…freaking multiple tabs….

• willsolo - May 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Thank the lord for Vin Scully.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I wish they’d bring live commercials back. I’d love to see new products sold that way. Like a Dyson or an Axe commercial.

6. thomas2727 - May 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I had the Dodgers game muted on my 2nd tv and I wondered why they kept showing Don Mattingly and his Dad during “commercial” breaks. It looked like Don was visiting his home town.

• jimbo1949 - May 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I wondered why I didn’t have the munchies that night, no In & Out or Carl’s Jr spots.

7. lessthanittakes - May 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

This was easily the most enjoyable FSMW experience I’ve ever had.

• icanspeel - May 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I watched the Cardinals vs Padres virtual commercial free game and I have to agree, I enjoyed the game without all those annoying commercials. Even when they did the occasional plug it didn’t bother me 1 bit.

8. craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

“Like, Dick Enberg spends the time between innings talking about the “rich tobacco flavor” of Chesterfields or something”…..Good one Craig….that’s a knee slapper. Keep up that top notch reporting!

9. yankeesfanlen - May 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What? No safe ans secure from New York Life? Driven by Jeep during a rally moment and Tri-State Ford dealers and Peerless boilers? What has baseball come to?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3853)