May 23, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
I said in ATH yesterday that our prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Biceps — or, occasionally, “bicepts” — was agitating to get reinstated from bannination. Based on the overwhelmingly negative response to the notion in the comments, that idea is officially tabled.
I agree with most of you: he’d be good for a few days in the recap threads and then I’d write something political or about race and he just wouldn’t be able to help himself. For what it’s worth, he realizes this. He also isn’t all that eager for all of you to jump on his case when he strays from game talk, so he’s good with staying banned. Between you and me, I think part of him secretly likes it in an Obi-Wan Kenobi, “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine” kind of way.
And here I am adding to what I’m guessing will soon be an ego problem on his part. He tweets stuff to me a few times a day. Mostly links to Philly-related articles. But sometimes money stuff like this:
@craigcalcaterra If the Phillies fall out of this race in the next few weeks, I will pull for the Braves. All (3) Nats fans are annoying.
— James (@halladaysbiceps) May 23, 2012
Say what you want about the guy, but he was usually the first Phillies fan around here to stop drinking the Kool-Aid when they’re not doing well. Whether I want him on the same bandwagon as me, however, is an open question …
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)