Tweet of the Day: The ‘Cepts has spoken

May 23, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Biceps

I said in ATH yesterday that our prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Biceps — or, occasionally, “bicepts” — was agitating to get reinstated from bannination. Based on the overwhelmingly negative response to the notion in the comments, that idea is officially tabled.

I agree with most of you: he’d be good for a few days in the recap threads and then I’d write something political or about race and he just wouldn’t be able to help himself. For what it’s worth, he realizes this. He also isn’t all that eager for all of you to jump on his case when he strays from game talk, so he’s good with staying banned.  Between you and me, I think part of him secretly likes it in an Obi-Wan Kenobi, “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine” kind of way.

And here I am adding to what I’m guessing will soon be an ego problem on his part.  He tweets stuff to me a few times a day. Mostly links to Philly-related articles. But sometimes money stuff like this:

Say what you want about the guy, but he was usually the first Phillies fan around here to stop drinking the Kool-Aid when they’re not doing well.  Whether I want him on the same bandwagon as me, however, is an open question …

1. El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM

That’s an OG post and a ‘Cepts post back-to-back. How about a interview with FrankZappa next?

By the way, what is worse, three annoying (Nats) fans or 3 million annoying (Phillies) phans? Don’t answer that, it was rhetorical.

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM

rhetorical, eh?

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Justin Bieber fans….. much much worse in fact.

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Totally, completely, utterly agree. They, and all Celine Dion fans, should be stoned with prune pits till they learn to act like rational people.

• mcsnide - May 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I thought all Canadians were required to like Celine Dion or face loss of citizenship. You’ve changed my image of Canadians with a single comment (and much to the better).

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

She went to Vegas, man. No self respecting Canuck goes to work in Vegas when they could be on Rita McNeil/Anne Murray Family Specials once a year. That’s like eschewing Canadian Beer for Coors Lite (the beer that can’t spell).

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Last season i was watching CBS and Bieber was shot dead by 5 cops.. turns out it was just an episode of CSI :-(

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Actually Miller Lite is the “beer that can’t spell”. Coors Light is the beer beer drinkers drink when they don’t want to drink beer.

• Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Let’s just accept that neither Coors Light nor Miller Lite are beer, shall we?

• purnellmeagrejr - May 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

El Bravo – What would you do if someoine askedy YOU a rhetorical question?
      I admit a small part of me misses Halladay posts – they set the standard for wrong.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’d answer it anyway. I don’t need instigation to open my mouth (or keyboard), because I’m a jerk like that.

Tell that “small part” of you to shut the hell up. You no not what you ask for. If you need to reset your “wrong” standard, simply watch (or re-watch) “Gigli.”

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

*know

2. number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM

That picture is disturbing….

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM

That’s really Halladay’s bicept

3. craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I don’t know which is more annoying….the 3 Nats fans or the the 10 Hotlanta fans. Join up with the 7 Marlin fans and you almost got yourself a solid crap talking group!

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

your name craig by any chance?

• craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

My name is Craigis…..last name Aloser. Why do I know you?

• CJ - May 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM

on the .00001% chance that’s actually true, I must say your parents named you quite aptly.

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

oh… i dont think so… just a very interesting name. European?

4. pbsenerchia - May 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM

All three (3) of us are VERY amused by this kind of Phillies fan angst, of course – as well as the old school, prestigious way they stream off the bandwagon like the proverbial rats off a sinking ship.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Define “steam off the bandwagon”.

• pbsenerchia - May 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Check, say, Crashburn Alley’s twitter stream from last night. Or the post we’re commenting on.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM

What about his post screams bandwagon to you?

• pbsenerchia - May 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Just that he says he’s going to pull for the Braves. And of course I’m not really trying to make a reasoned argument here, I’m just trying to have a little fun at the expense of Phillies fans, which – c’mon, wouldn’t you?

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This. This right here.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I don’t know….I wouldn’t say being critical of your team is streaming off the bandwagon. I guess abandoning ones team would be classified as such. I just think you can be critical and still support them. Hell, you can boo them and still support them. Sometimes the best thing to do is let them know they suck.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM

This is true Mr. Army.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I just hear the phrase “bandwagon fan” a bunch and am wondering what each persons unique perspective might be regarding what that means. Or is it one of those things where one can’t provide a definition but would know it if they saw it?

• pbsenerchia - May 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM

@Army – more or less, I’d say bandwagon fans are the type who talk a lot of smack when the team is winning, especially about the character of other teams and their fans, and generally act like obnoxious jackasses, and then either shut up completely, or lash out at their favorite team or the fans of other teams when their team stinks. I realize that’s very poorly written, so by way of example: last night on twitter, there was a lot of Phillies fans either 1) saying Halladay sucks, trade him, etc., or 2) doing the whole “Nats are still a joke, never won anything, Nats fans are bad fans/losers” etc. type of thing. Those are bandwagon fans, and that shit is hilarious. They’re also the Crossing Broad jackoffs who cheered Werth’s broken wrist, for example. Definitely not all Phillies fans, of course.

• chadjones27 - May 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

pbsenerchia, I wouldn’t say those are band wagon fans. Those are just loud, obnoxious, unknowledgable fans. Typical of any fan base. If they were truly bandwagon fans, I’d assume, they wouldn’t even be commenting, since, by most people’s definitions, band wagon fans don’t pay attention when it’s bad. And things aren’t great. Well, not so good. At least bad-ish. Nah, it’s bad.Terrible. Boo. Boo!!! Get off the field!

• cleverbob - May 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Didn’t Samuel Johnson say that “Twitter is the last refuge of a scoundrel”? It was something like that…

• craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Here’s the thing…..when you have the astronomical number of fans that the Phillies do, you’re always going to have some bandwagon fans in the group. Therefore you’re going to see a few of the Phillies fans jump off as the ship goes down as you say. Put this in perspective…if the Nats were in their typical cellar right now at least 1 of the 3 of you would most likely not even be reading these comments. Hmmmm on second thought, probably all three of you cause Nats fans have no HEART!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• pbsenerchia - May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Fair point about the huge fanbase – really, it generally seems to be the bandwagon fans who are also the biggest jackasses, which is why it’s so enjoyable to watch them suffer this year. Imagine being a Nats fan for the past 5 years, putting up with their garbage, and now seeing them turn on their team when they’re struggling. It’s delicious.

• nolanwiffle - May 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Just so you know, you’re the only one laughing.

• craigisaloser - May 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

And still laughing….

• heyblueyoustink - May 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

So, by this theory, the Nat’s fans wouldn’t fall off a bandwagon, more or less they’s fall off of one of these : http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kids+pull+cart&view=detail&id=42867EDB40C2EF17D508B475D92697BDF679B6BA&first=0

• CJ - May 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM

blue, that’s way too big…I was thinking something more along these lines.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 24, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I’ll join and be Nats fan #4.

Unlike the Phils, who aren’t getting any younger and are starting to show the wear of being rode hard and put up wet, as they say, I like my baseball teams like I like my women: young, fun, and flawed. So no matter what the Phillies’s bandwagon is doing, I’ll be in the Nats’s party shower.

• natstowngreg - May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Welcome! Join us in the righteous battle against the Phillies infestation! :)

But seriously, it’s going to take a lot more for Phillies’ front-runners to truly abandon their team. Just as it’s going to take more winning for the Nats front-runners to show up in full force.

5. vintage1496 - May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Can we please stop paying this guy any attention? Banning him but still posting about him isn’t an effective solution to said ego problem. He is “The Situation” of HBT commenters.

And I know, I know, “commenting about not paying attention is only paying attention blah blah blah,” but someone had to say it.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 24, 2012 at 7:04 AM

It would just be too dull around here – sorry Gator – without acknowledging the bigger world of jackwagonry that we all know exists. Brushing against it sometimes can be thrilling. Or something.

6. sandpiperair - May 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Any word on what Bozos4all has been up to lately?

• number42is1 - May 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM

i see him on one of the other sites (BBALL i think)

• wlschneider09 - May 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Much like Voldemort, we don’t use that name in case he feels the pull and comes back.

7. Francisco (FC) - May 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I actually like all the NL East teams. There’s nothing to not really like, only Ozzball and he got sympathy points from me with that political baloney he stepped into. Heck even Zambrano is off the crazy train. I would prefer it if the Phillies were on top, but it should be a fun division of baseball to watch the rest of the way.

In any case Phillies sucking? Meh, been there, done that since the late 80’s and practically all of the 90’s. If it’s still bad by July I’ll take a glass-half full approach and say that Amaro should just take his chisel and lop off some bad parts and retool for 2013.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM

But whatever RAJ does, he must not bring up Domonic Brown. Also, he must not admit he erred in trading Singleton or all the guys he basically gave away so he could have Cliff Lee back. Those were absolutely essential deals.

8. indaburg - May 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM

What’s to stop him from creating a new handle and posting again? Why is he still drawn to Craig by tweeting even though he’s the one that banned him?

• drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM

They tweet back and forth sometimes. It is not a one-way tweeting relationship if you will. He likes Craig.

• chadjones27 - May 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I thought he was banned for the betterment of the site. Not because of a grudge or any ill-will between them.

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Oh, he bans himself these days. Doesn’t wait for Craig to do it anymore. He was back for a bit this season, and he was ok for a while, then went right off the effin’ rails all at once. Think his new handle was something like “philliesWSchamps’12” or somesuch. He’s not bad when sober and posting, but he can’t manage that more than few weeks before the moon goes full and he starts growing hair and fangs once his BAC gets North of 0.08.

Nobody could rant like him, though. He had it all when it came to ranting: incoherence, circular logic, ad hominem attacks, easily baited, and the ever popular, “jump to conclusion” reflex(t). I miss his ranting. It was epic. I always knew which side of an issue to be on: it was almost always the opposite of his.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Nostalgia veils everything in rosier shades, my friend. Don’t be fooled, the comments section is peaceful and we should enjoy it, not yearn for days of yore when meaningless battles were fought daily.

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Tru dat. I don’t yearn so much as look back to less complicated times. These days you gotta read dozens of comments before you see one with as much to offer as a ‘Cepts post used to. However, with ‘Zappa, Randy, Protius, dirtyharry & Cup0pizza around, I do miss ‘Cepts. Those guys go to comment intending to offend others.’Cepts mostly was surprised when someone got offended: he wasn’t usually trolling, just ill-informed & opinionated. Man, he could rant.

• indaburg - May 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Reading ‘cepts posts were definitely a study in fallacious arguments. As much as I disagreed with practically everything he wrote, a small part of me misses him too, kinda like missing a drunk uncle at a wedding. Sure, it’s more peaceful without the blubbering fool embarassing himself, but it’s also more boring too.

9. bigleagues - May 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Whether I want him on the same bandwagon as me, however, is an open question …

Rocky once felt the same way about Apollo.

10. El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

By the way Craigaleg, you are right about Cepts being more powerful now. Though, it is YOU who is at fault. You yourself have made Cepts more powerful by banning him, having him mindf@ck you to nearly letting him back again, then putting an entire post up about him for your minions to comment about relentlessly. You sir, are the source of the evil Cepts’ power and until now, I don’t even think you realized it.

11. allisonhagen - May 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

What will “soon be an ego problem”? I don’t think he needs your help with that. Idiot shouldn’t even garner a mention let alone an entire blog post.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

And now we know the real reason ‘cepts won’t be back.

• allisonhagen - May 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Nah, it’s not because of me. He was banned long before I came into the picture. Just speaking my mind based on my own (unwilling) interaction with him..

• The Baseball Idiot - May 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

What do I do?

12. yahmule - May 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I would have run him for misspelling biceps.

13. Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have no problem with the guy coming back, though he did get to be a boil at times. But it is Craig’s decision.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I’m voting you off the island for this comment.

• Utley's Hair - May 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dude, we all know that this is like Gilligan’s Island, and not Survivor. So you can vote me off all you want, but I’m not going anywhere.

By the way, CAKE rules and (pie) drools!!!!!!!! And Maryann before Ginger.

• Kevin S. - May 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Are you trying to get banned?

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh, yeah, Maryanne all they way, Homes. Man might have a lot of fun with Ginger, but I she might not try hard enough and you could need some penicillin after: big movie star ego and all. Maryanne would leave you with hay seeds all over, but it’d be fun having her get them all off you.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yeah UH, Craig hails from Pietown, like I do. Be careful or he will ban you, or worse yet, change your comments by globally replacing pie for cake and cake for pie. He will ruin you.

• Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I just can’t relate to people who are sooooo delusional that they actually believe Cake is better than Pie. It’s Unfathomable. You people are sick, just sick. You all do need to be put on an Island.

• cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Put us on an island, then. With Maryanne…in a cake.

• Francisco (FC) - May 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM

That’s true, all the fun girls come out of Cakes… never pie.

14. 18thstreet - May 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m bored by this post, I can’t even think of an adequate insult for Bicepts.

Whatever. We’ve all found a new idiot in RandyGNYC. I’ve moved on.

Mostly, I’ll remember the laughter.

15. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I am apparently one of the minority who didn’t mind Cepts. As Cur said previously…
    There are a handful of Chumpstains who comment with the sole intention of offending others.
    “’Cepts mostly was surprised when someone got offended: he wasn’t usually trolling, just ill-informed & opinionated.”

16. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

No shit Jonny! I just posted something about Cepts and agreeing with Cur’s comment above and it hasn’t posted.

17. nightman13 - May 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

All that ever really needs to be said is:

Philly fans = poop

18. natstowngreg - May 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

As one of the 3 Nats fans, not sure I should feel insulted or honored. I choose the latter.

19. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I missed it. I was preparing the vile liquid combination I had to take prior to today’s colonoscopy. I will also miss the game this afternoon.

I understand that the ump tried to get out of the way but instead moved into the path of the ball.

20. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

WTH! I was trying to post on the Lawrie thread and it showed up here. I am going back to bed.

21. cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Good luck with the ‘scope, bro. Hope you get a clean bill of health.

22. stlouis1baseball - May 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Good luck on the Colonoscopy P.C.!

23. El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Rectum? Damn near killed ‘em.

24. El Bravo - May 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

@proudlycanadian

25. cur68 - May 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM

What El Bravo said. Why are replies not appending to comments all of a sudden?

26. Francisco (FC) - May 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

This is but a *small* demonstration of ‘cepts’ power… to alter the space-time continuum of the comments section.

27. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I like the idea of adding Bicepts to the Lair series as an evil side kick of Craig’s to do all of his dirrrrrtty work. Of course all of his deeds should end in total or partial failure to anger Lex Lu…. Craig. Whatcha think FC? Like a mini Craig with one huge bicept?

28. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

\/ \/ \/ \/ look V V V V

29. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

reply issue!!

30. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Thanks I survised easily.

31. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thanks I survived easily.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3472)