May 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The Tigers have been without their starting center fielder for a little over a week and now his absence will stretch into June.
According to James Schmel of MLive.com, Austin Jackson is headed to the disabled list with an abdominal strain. He hasn’t played since leaving a game last Wednesday, but the Tigers held off on making a roster move in hopes that he would make a quick recovery. However, any chance of that effectively went down the drain after he was shut down during a batting practice session on Tuesday.
Jackson’s stint on the disabled list will be backdated to May 17, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as June 1, but we’ll know more about his status once he undergoes further testing tomorrow in Detroit. Quinton Berry and Don Kelly will handle center field duties until he is ready to return.
Jackson has shown significant signs of improvement this season, batting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games while cutting down on his strikeouts and drawing more walks.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)