May 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
The Tigers have been without their starting center fielder for a little over a week and now his absence will stretch into June.
According to James Schmel of MLive.com, Austin Jackson is headed to the disabled list with an abdominal strain. He hasn’t played since leaving a game last Wednesday, but the Tigers held off on making a roster move in hopes that he would make a quick recovery. However, any chance of that effectively went down the drain after he was shut down during a batting practice session on Tuesday.
Jackson’s stint on the disabled list will be backdated to May 17, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as June 1, but we’ll know more about his status once he undergoes further testing tomorrow in Detroit. Quinton Berry and Don Kelly will handle center field duties until he is ready to return.
Jackson has shown significant signs of improvement this season, batting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games while cutting down on his strikeouts and drawing more walks.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 16
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)