May 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
The Tigers have been without their starting center fielder for a little over a week and now his absence will stretch into June.
According to James Schmel of MLive.com, Austin Jackson is headed to the disabled list with an abdominal strain. He hasn’t played since leaving a game last Wednesday, but the Tigers held off on making a roster move in hopes that he would make a quick recovery. However, any chance of that effectively went down the drain after he was shut down during a batting practice session on Tuesday.
Jackson’s stint on the disabled list will be backdated to May 17, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as June 1, but we’ll know more about his status once he undergoes further testing tomorrow in Detroit. Quinton Berry and Don Kelly will handle center field duties until he is ready to return.
Jackson has shown significant signs of improvement this season, batting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games while cutting down on his strikeouts and drawing more walks.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)