May 24, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Carlos Quentin embarked on a minor league rehab assignment earlier this month, but he was shut down after experiencing soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee. Now he’s ready to give it another shot.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres manager Bud Black said that Quentin will join High-A Lake Elsinore tomorrow. He got the go-ahead after playing three games in extended spring training earlier this week, twice in the field and once as the designated hitter.
“Now he feels good in his stance, and we think the time off gave him what he needed,” Black said. “It’s very encouraging how he’s feeling right now.”
Quentin, who was acquired from White Sox at the end of December, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on March 19. The San Diego native had 21 at-bats in the minors before his setback, but it’s not clear how many at-bats he’ll need this time around before making his Padres’ debut.
While Quentin will almost certainly miss hitting in U.S. Cellular Field, he should provide a nice boost for an offense which entered play tonight dead-last in the majors with 17 home runs. The 29-year-old outfielder is due to hit free agency this offseason and while there was some brief talk about a possible contract extension, he figures to be trade bait for the rebuilding Padres.
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas