May 24, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
Carlos Quentin embarked on a minor league rehab assignment earlier this month, but he was shut down after experiencing soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee. Now he’s ready to give it another shot.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres manager Bud Black said that Quentin will join High-A Lake Elsinore tomorrow. He got the go-ahead after playing three games in extended spring training earlier this week, twice in the field and once as the designated hitter.
“Now he feels good in his stance, and we think the time off gave him what he needed,” Black said. “It’s very encouraging how he’s feeling right now.”
Quentin, who was acquired from White Sox at the end of December, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on March 19. The San Diego native had 21 at-bats in the minors before his setback, but it’s not clear how many at-bats he’ll need this time around before making his Padres’ debut.
While Quentin will almost certainly miss hitting in U.S. Cellular Field, he should provide a nice boost for an offense which entered play tonight dead-last in the majors with 17 home runs. The 29-year-old outfielder is due to hit free agency this offseason and while there was some brief talk about a possible contract extension, he figures to be trade bait for the rebuilding Padres.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 0
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 358
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (355)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)