Chad Curtis arrested, charged with five counts of sexual misconduct

May 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EST

Chad Curtis AP

Three weeks ago, we wrote about Chad Curtis being under investigation in Michigan for allegedly inappropriately touching students. That investigation has concluded with the former big-league outfielder being charged with five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.

According to 24 Hour News 8 in Grand Rapids, Curtis is facing two counts in the second-degree, one in the third-degree and two in the fourth-degree. The second-degree and third-degree charges are punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment. He was arraigned late Thursday afternoon and released after his wife put up 10 percent of the $250,000 bond.

The prosecutor said all the alleged incidents involved female athletes and at Lakewood High School, where Curtis was serving as a volunteer coach. Before being suspended by the school, he was expected to take over as the head football coach in the fall.

According to News 8, the inappropriate conduct allegedly occurred during therapeutic assistance to an injury, but it crossed the line into touching and kissing intimate parts.

Curtis, who played for the Yankees and Angels in a 10-year big-league career that concluded in 2001, has denied the allegations.

1. bigleagues - May 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Any word on whether he had Luis Polonia on his speed dial?

• Matthew Pouliot - May 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Curtis and Polonia were teammates with the Angels and Polonia and Mel Hall were teammates with the Yankees. But all three never played in the same outfield at the same time.

• pjmarn6 - May 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I would like you to remember the McMartin preschool sex case where the people were exhonorated after it was found that the person who interviewed the child influenced them to tell lies about the school.
        Also, although there is a lot of problems with adults and children, children are wiley,willful, and deceitful. Any parent knows that.
        About three years ago I was living in an apartment complex and having a day with family and friends and a bunch of adults come to the door and accuse me of molesting a girl in the swimming pool. First I have a severe allergy to chlorine and can’t get in the pool, second there were 25-30 people at the party and said I was there all the time. My hair wasn’t wet and I demanded that the girl come to the entire group must have been 50 of us by that time and when she was dragged to the conference, she tearfully admitted she made it up as I had chased her and her girlfriends away from the entrance of the condo, where they were yelling, screaming and creating havoc. Father and mother of the girl skulked away and the other people, sheep following the ram, quickly disappeared.
        Yes there are child molesters and very evil people, but TODAY, with the internet, television and children all too ready to create problems, one has to be very careful.
        That is why many doctors have a nurse present any time they have a woman patient. They have the lowest malpractice insurance costs. It is not only the children who cry wolf!

• mikecubbie69 - May 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

@pjmarn6, you cant compare this case to the McMartin case, those were little kids with overactive imaginations, whereas this is a high school. but I do agree that sometimes young people(I hesitate to use children here because we are talking about teenagers) can be wiley and deceitful and who knows what really happened there. I say wait until all the facts are in before making any judgements.

• pjmarn6 - May 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM

mikecubbie69 you didn’t read about the hookers who got the college hockey club in trouble with false accusations of rape and kidnapping? You didn’t read about the high school girls who were charged with false imprisonment of girls in the girls locker room and attacking them? You didn’t read about the recent cheerleader scandal where a group of girls attacked the girls trying out for the team?
        There is no age limit. And my statement, if you can read and reason, went to the point that judgment on Chad Curtis has to be reserved for the judge, jury and results of the trial. I pointed out that a young girl of 10 took it into her mind to seek vengeance on me for telling them to quiet down.
        I did not say that Curtis was innocent or guilty. And most of you do not remember that the owner of the day school and her son were first found GUILTY! And it was only after appeals and after an independent non biased psychologist interviewed the children that they were found innocent of the charges.
        It is very common for children and adults to get together and frame and destroy people. There is a country, that prohibits all pretrial publicity of criminal matters. Nothing is allowed in the media until after the trial is over and the outcome is decided.
        If Curtis is guilty, then throw the book at him, if he is innocent, he is a ruined man.

• pjmarn6 - May 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

mikecubbie69 It would greatly help the readers if you were to review the McMartin case and find out that it was not the children that accused the McMartins first, the “evidence” to convict them came from the psychologist and social workers who testified that the children had told them that they were molested. It was only after another series of psychologists and investigators revealed that the children were induced to make up the molestation stories by the first set of investigators that the verdicts were overturned.
        It was not the kids overactive imagination. It is quite evident that you didn’t follow the case or see the videos of how the children were induced to claim they were molested. There was not one shred of physical proof. Before you make a complete ass of yourself, go back and read “ALL” the information on the case. Teenagers already have overactive imaginations and can be very vindictive. I can see the defense preparing itself now, “girls ganged up to get Curtis in trouble because he refused their advances!” Who knows? Hell it is a risk today to be a coach for a little league baseball team!
        My wife and I were walking down a beach and a girl came screaming towards us and a big woman chasing her. The girl hid behind my wife’s skirt and the woman started screaming for the police that we were kidnapping her daughter! The police took away the woman for beating her daughter. Its a bad world out there!

2. jwbiii - May 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Onward Christian soldiers!

3. randygnyc - May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Disgusting. Prosecute and imprison this scumbag, for LIFE!!! There is no cure for sexual predators.

• proudlycanadian - May 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You forgot the “if tried and convicted part” Randy. By the way, today I read on SI.com about a former high school football star who served 5 years for rape and kidnapping. After his release, the girl signed up to be his friend on Facebook and subsequently confessed that she made up the story. A judge just exonerated him. The justice system is not perfect. Mistakes get made. Let the justice system handle this case and whatever the decision, hope that they get it right.

• Glenn - May 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

A similar thing happened to a teacher in Connecticut. After his career and LIFE was ruined, one of the girls admitted that she made it up. Witch hunts are ugly. If he is indeed guilty, no sympathy. Until then, keep an open mind. I doubt that any commenter here knows anything true about the case at all.

• stlouis1baseball - May 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM

On point PC! This morning I saw the guy interviewed on CBS this morning.
        He was 16 at the time (I think it happened in 2003). He admitted that he and the girl were kissing, groping…typical make out stuff. Afterwards…she accused him of raping her!
        The kid was offered (and accepted) a full ride to USC to play Linebacker. Had a huge future ahead of him. Then…he gets out jail/prison and SHE sends him a Facebook Friend request. He accepts the FB friend request and meets up with her. What she didn’t know was he also had a Private Investigator on-site who recorded everything.
        She admitted she fabricated the entire thing. The judge exonerated him in about 1 1/2 minutes. Sadly…that is time he will never get back and who knows what could have happened had he ultimately been able to attend USC on that scholarship.
        You never know. He could have been playing Linebacker in the NFL right now.
        But most importantly…he was falsely accused and wrongly convicted.
        That can’t be un-done.

• mlblogspauly - May 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hey jerk, he is innocent until proven guilty. Kids lie a lot.

4. Glenn - May 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I am quite willing to accept the possibility that he might be innocent. Let’s let the evidence speak for itself. Anyone can make allegations and ruin someone’s life.

5. mdterrapins - May 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I don’t know. Has Jon Heyman denied this?

6. randygnyc - May 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Agreed. I’ll add, “if found guilty”. Very little patience for crimes against our children.

• proudlycanadian - May 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

OK

7. ningenito78 - May 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Jesus Christ. What the f–k.

• ditto65 - May 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Thaks for adding to the4 intellectual discourse…

• hgulkkcaj - May 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

You stay classy ningenito.

8. randygnyc - May 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It’s a crime that has many victims. I had neighbors who had their daughter molested, by a music teacher. The girl was a mess, the parents devastated, and the older brother got locked up for trying to burn down this guys house (which also contained young children. Babies if I remember correctly.). OMG, what a mess. Makes me sick to my stomach.

• Glenn - May 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

But what does have to do with the evidence against Curtis? I think we all agree that molesting children is horrible, we just don’t know if Curtis is guilty or if this is an unfounded allegation. Bringing up the devastation of unrelated cases is irrelevant.

• mybrunoblog - May 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I doubt the allegations are unfounded. Unfounded means nothing happened. I’d bet my next paycheck Curtis said something like “all I did was high five and encourage the girls. I would never touch them in a wrong way”
        The investigation seems to have gone on for a number of weeks. Law enforcement was probably taking statements and chasing evidence like phone records, computer records etc. They didn’t rush into this and charge him right away.Curtis is facing 5 separate charges…
        Where there is smoke, you often find fire….Sad for all involved. I hope justice is served.

9. randygnyc - May 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM

At this point, I’m inclined to agree with Bruno that these charges aren’t in a vacuum, or singular. I hope justice is achieved, which is different than hoping he’s guilty. If he’s guilty, I have no sympathy for anything he’ll have to endure.

10. tebowspeech - May 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

He’s charged with CSC 3, which requires sexual penetration. So what is being alleged is a little more than touching and kissing.

11. ramitbaby - May 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

“But, Judge…She was hot.”

• sasquash20 - May 25, 2012 at 2:32 AM

talking about kids douche bag

• ramitbaby - May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I was well aware of that….and it’s still funny.

12. blarry21 - May 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Luis Polonia. That’s gold

13. jayquintana - May 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Did he make a big deal about being a Christian when he was playing?

14. lostsok - May 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

So…there’s an opening for a football coach is what you’re saying?

15. Old Gator - May 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Very, very sad. I agree we need to let the system run its course because it’s all that stands between us and a vendetta-like spiral into blind retribution.

And I understand that there are some horrifyingly dark corners of the human mind, and sometimes the darkness takes much of a lifetime to assert itself. I get all that. What always boggles my mind is, even if you’re not enough of a spiritualist to believe in the existence of a transcendental conscience, what sick sort of mental anesthaesia is it that paralyzes the ability of such people to calculate the consequences and think that they can get away with this stuff?

16. sictransitchris - May 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM

It’s a shame that this guy’s name gets dragged through the mud before he’s even found guilty. Ray Lewis still gets called a murderer.

17. pxeeks - May 25, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Castrate the pretty boy manipulator. Disgusting ex jock douchbag.

• mlblogspauly - May 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

you are a douchebag, also learn to spell

18. deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Wait, so my back surgeon lied when he told me kissing my neck and fondling my buttocks were both part of the recovery process?

• stlouis1baseball - May 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Hahaha! Sounds like he was being a truthful with you as he possibly could Monkey.
      You should probably be a little worried about liking it though.
      Unless of course…you swing that way.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

“We’re swingers, Hi. As in, To Swing.”

19. sparty0n - May 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

All, I used to live in the area. I can tell you the county prosecutor is something of a zealot on these things. Small town (7,000) prosecutor looking to make a name for himself. There was a case at another school system in the same county where a student was trying to get back at a teacher and even after the facts were obvious, the prosecutor did not let up. Eventfully the case was dismissed. So, don’t convict Chad until this whole thing ends. Obviously Chad will never be a coach again, no matter the outcome. But don’t make any judgments just yet.

20. hawker1 - May 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The McMartin case proved several things. First among them, at least to me, was that every second of every interview with both witnesses and victims should be recorded on video. That would make it very obvious if the interrogator was manipulating testimony, and if done right, would also make it easier to determine truthfulness. Teenagers can be very vindictive, and some of them have zero understanding of the seriousness of false testimony. If this guy is really guilty of the crimes he should be put away for good, but an overzealous prosecutor could be ruining his life at the whim of a teenage girl..

• mlblogspauly - May 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM

i agree. good for you

21. snomannn - May 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

The comments of “pjmarn6″ are some of the most misguided, misleading and self-serving on this site. In one of his numerous posts (the one dated May 25,2012 at 6:25PM in particular) he states that it is”very common for children and adults to get together and frame and destroy people”. He compares this incident to the McMartin Pre-School ordeal and throws in his own incidents for good measure.

Thinking like his is one of the main reasons women don’t report sexual assault in the first place. Not only do they fear not being believed, but also the fallout from the community who prefer to believe all women, teens and children are blatant liars.

I’m taking a wait and see approach to this case as I usually do. If the allegations are true, he has done serious harm to children, his family, his community, the school and pro sports. If he’s found innocent then so be it as well. We must take charges of this nature at face value and investigate each and every one of them, always looking for the truth and for justice. And schools and youth sports must do a better job of making rules and enforcing them. No teacher or coach or ancillary personnel should ever be alone with a student. Most professional teachers and school personnel understand that and do an excellent job of maintaining proper and appropriate contact…..to do otherwise is not only foolish, but often illegal.

• hawker1 - May 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

” If he’s found innocent then so be it as well.” So be it!? That’s all you have to say about ruining an innocent man’s life. It won’t matter if he is innocent. He will NEVER coach again. NEVER teach again. NEVER remove the stain from his name. This will destroy his family. If he did the crime, that’s fine, but you can’t just say ” If he’s found innocent then so be it as well.” and let it go at that. If the girls are proven to have lied about it there needs to be some serious accountability, including jail time.

22. dawglb - May 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

1) I hope, for all of the families involved, these accusations are false, and he is innocent. 2) If they are true, this is a horrible story. Though they are older teenagers, they are somebody’s children. Why do these adults feel like it is OK to act on their feelings …with teens? Adults have adults to play with, stay away from minors, for crying out loud! Is it really that difficult to find a consenting adult?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester