May 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EST
Three weeks ago, we wrote about Chad Curtis being under investigation in Michigan for allegedly inappropriately touching students. That investigation has concluded with the former big-league outfielder being charged with five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.
According to 24 Hour News 8 in Grand Rapids, Curtis is facing two counts in the second-degree, one in the third-degree and two in the fourth-degree. The second-degree and third-degree charges are punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment. He was arraigned late Thursday afternoon and released after his wife put up 10 percent of the $250,000 bond.
The prosecutor said all the alleged incidents involved female athletes and at Lakewood High School, where Curtis was serving as a volunteer coach. Before being suspended by the school, he was expected to take over as the head football coach in the fall.
According to News 8, the inappropriate conduct allegedly occurred during therapeutic assistance to an injury, but it crossed the line into touching and kissing intimate parts.
Curtis, who played for the Yankees and Angels in a 10-year big-league career that concluded in 2001, has denied the allegations.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 17
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)