May 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
Three weeks ago, we wrote about Chad Curtis being under investigation in Michigan for allegedly inappropriately touching students. That investigation has concluded with the former big-league outfielder being charged with five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.
According to 24 Hour News 8 in Grand Rapids, Curtis is facing two counts in the second-degree, one in the third-degree and two in the fourth-degree. The second-degree and third-degree charges are punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment. He was arraigned late Thursday afternoon and released after his wife put up 10 percent of the $250,000 bond.
The prosecutor said all the alleged incidents involved female athletes and at Lakewood High School, where Curtis was serving as a volunteer coach. Before being suspended by the school, he was expected to take over as the head football coach in the fall.
According to News 8, the inappropriate conduct allegedly occurred during therapeutic assistance to an injury, but it crossed the line into touching and kissing intimate parts.
Curtis, who played for the Yankees and Angels in a 10-year big-league career that concluded in 2001, has denied the allegations.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)