May 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
Three weeks ago, we wrote about Chad Curtis being under investigation in Michigan for allegedly inappropriately touching students. That investigation has concluded with the former big-league outfielder being charged with five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.
According to 24 Hour News 8 in Grand Rapids, Curtis is facing two counts in the second-degree, one in the third-degree and two in the fourth-degree. The second-degree and third-degree charges are punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment. He was arraigned late Thursday afternoon and released after his wife put up 10 percent of the $250,000 bond.
The prosecutor said all the alleged incidents involved female athletes and at Lakewood High School, where Curtis was serving as a volunteer coach. Before being suspended by the school, he was expected to take over as the head football coach in the fall.
According to News 8, the inappropriate conduct allegedly occurred during therapeutic assistance to an injury, but it crossed the line into touching and kissing intimate parts.
Curtis, who played for the Yankees and Angels in a 10-year big-league career that concluded in 2001, has denied the allegations.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)