May 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
Three weeks ago, we wrote about Chad Curtis being under investigation in Michigan for allegedly inappropriately touching students. That investigation has concluded with the former big-league outfielder being charged with five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.
According to 24 Hour News 8 in Grand Rapids, Curtis is facing two counts in the second-degree, one in the third-degree and two in the fourth-degree. The second-degree and third-degree charges are punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment. He was arraigned late Thursday afternoon and released after his wife put up 10 percent of the $250,000 bond.
The prosecutor said all the alleged incidents involved female athletes and at Lakewood High School, where Curtis was serving as a volunteer coach. Before being suspended by the school, he was expected to take over as the head football coach in the fall.
According to News 8, the inappropriate conduct allegedly occurred during therapeutic assistance to an injury, but it crossed the line into touching and kissing intimate parts.
Curtis, who played for the Yankees and Angels in a 10-year big-league career that concluded in 2001, has denied the allegations.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)