May 24, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios, which released its first game to generally positive reviews earlier this year, closed its doors Thursday, laying off its entire staff.
Despite having received a $75 million loan guarantee from Rhode Island, the company failed to stay afloat while trying to develop a large-scale MMO called Copernicus. This despite the fact that the game it released this February, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, sold 1.2 million copies in its first 90 days, according to Schilling.
38 Studios’ future had been uncertain after it missed a scheduled payment to Rhode Island earlier this month. It was later reported that in trying to make a late payment of $1.1 million, the company gave the state a bad check.
Schilling, an avid gamer even during his years in the majors, was hoping Copernicus would make a dent in the lucrative MMO market largely ruled by World of Warcraft. It was to be the first game developed by 38 Studios. Reckoning was developed by Big Huge Games, a company bought by 38 Studios in 2010.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (82)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon