May 24, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
So much for those initial reports that an MRI exam ruled out structural damage in Emilio Bonifacio‘s injured thumb, as Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that he’ll undergo surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
When the Marlins placed Bonifacio on the disabled list Sunday they indicated that the plan was for him to return after the minimum 15 days, but now he’s out until at least July. Miami also placed Austin Kearns on the DL today with a hamstring strain, so the Marlins are suddenly very thin in the outfield with Bryan Petersen and Chris Coghlan now slotted in as starters.
Before the injury Bonifacio was hitting .268 with a .351 on-base percentage and doing tons of damage on the bases with a league-leading 20 steals in 21 attempts. Of course, the injury came on a steal attempt and despite all the running he scored just 19 runs in 39 games.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)