May 24, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
So much for those initial reports that an MRI exam ruled out structural damage in Emilio Bonifacio‘s injured thumb, as Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that he’ll undergo surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
When the Marlins placed Bonifacio on the disabled list Sunday they indicated that the plan was for him to return after the minimum 15 days, but now he’s out until at least July. Miami also placed Austin Kearns on the DL today with a hamstring strain, so the Marlins are suddenly very thin in the outfield with Bryan Petersen and Chris Coghlan now slotted in as starters.
Before the injury Bonifacio was hitting .268 with a .351 on-base percentage and doing tons of damage on the bases with a league-leading 20 steals in 21 attempts. Of course, the injury came on a steal attempt and despite all the running he scored just 19 runs in 39 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 172
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (173)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)