May 24, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
To make room on the roster San Francisco optioned Charlie Culberson to Triple-A after the rookie went 3-for-22 (.136) in his first taste of the big leagues.
Prior to injuring his elbow Theriot was the Giants’ primary second baseman and he figures to reclaim the job, although Emmanuel Burriss is also in the mix after playing there for most of the past two weeks. Burriss is the rare player compared to whom Theriot is actually an upgrade offensively.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)