May 24, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
To make room on the roster San Francisco optioned Charlie Culberson to Triple-A after the rookie went 3-for-22 (.136) in his first taste of the big leagues.
Prior to injuring his elbow Theriot was the Giants’ primary second baseman and he figures to reclaim the job, although Emmanuel Burriss is also in the mix after playing there for most of the past two weeks. Burriss is the rare player compared to whom Theriot is actually an upgrade offensively.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)