May 24, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
To make room on the roster San Francisco optioned Charlie Culberson to Triple-A after the rookie went 3-for-22 (.136) in his first taste of the big leagues.
Prior to injuring his elbow Theriot was the Giants’ primary second baseman and he figures to reclaim the job, although Emmanuel Burriss is also in the mix after playing there for most of the past two weeks. Burriss is the rare player compared to whom Theriot is actually an upgrade offensively.
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)