May 24, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The move is coming even though Danks thought he would have been fine to pitch Friday. Jose Quintana is being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte to start in his spot.
Danks is just 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA this season after landing a five-year, $65 million contract extension back in December. This is the first time in six big-league seasons that he’s been placed on the disabled list with an arm problem. He did serve a stint on the DL last year, but that was due to a strained oblique.
Quintana is likely to make at least two starts in Danks’ place. He made his major league debut on May 7, shutting out the Indians for 5 2/3 innings in the second game of a doubleheader.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)