May 24, 2012, 6:36 PM EST
The move is coming even though Danks thought he would have been fine to pitch Friday. Jose Quintana is being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte to start in his spot.
Danks is just 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA this season after landing a five-year, $65 million contract extension back in December. This is the first time in six big-league seasons that he’s been placed on the disabled list with an arm problem. He did serve a stint on the DL last year, but that was due to a strained oblique.
Quintana is likely to make at least two starts in Danks’ place. He made his major league debut on May 7, shutting out the Indians for 5 2/3 innings in the second game of a doubleheader.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (330)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)