May 24, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The move is coming even though Danks thought he would have been fine to pitch Friday. Jose Quintana is being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte to start in his spot.
Danks is just 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA this season after landing a five-year, $65 million contract extension back in December. This is the first time in six big-league seasons that he’s been placed on the disabled list with an arm problem. He did serve a stint on the DL last year, but that was due to a strained oblique.
Quintana is likely to make at least two starts in Danks’ place. He made his major league debut on May 7, shutting out the Indians for 5 2/3 innings in the second game of a doubleheader.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)