May 24, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The move is coming even though Danks thought he would have been fine to pitch Friday. Jose Quintana is being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte to start in his spot.
Danks is just 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA this season after landing a five-year, $65 million contract extension back in December. This is the first time in six big-league seasons that he’s been placed on the disabled list with an arm problem. He did serve a stint on the DL last year, but that was due to a strained oblique.
Quintana is likely to make at least two starts in Danks’ place. He made his major league debut on May 7, shutting out the Indians for 5 2/3 innings in the second game of a doubleheader.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 30
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 86
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)