May 24, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Barring a setback Rivera could begin a minor-league rehab assignment shortly and Gurnick speculates that he might be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as the middle of next week.
Rivera’s injury opened the door for Bobby Abreu to take a big role in the Dodgers’ outfield and he’s hit .314 with five doubles and an .848 OPS in 18 games, so Rivera may be returning to the short end of a platoon role. And platooning the right-handed-hitting Rivera with the left-handed-hitting Abreu could be a very productive arrangement for Los Angeles, albeit one that won’t be pretty defensively.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)