May 24, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Barring a setback Rivera could begin a minor-league rehab assignment shortly and Gurnick speculates that he might be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as the middle of next week.
Rivera’s injury opened the door for Bobby Abreu to take a big role in the Dodgers’ outfield and he’s hit .314 with five doubles and an .848 OPS in 18 games, so Rivera may be returning to the short end of a platoon role. And platooning the right-handed-hitting Rivera with the left-handed-hitting Abreu could be a very productive arrangement for Los Angeles, albeit one that won’t be pretty defensively.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)