May 24, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
I’m picturing a black tie gala, everyone who matters in attendance. When the nominees are read, a four-way split screen comes up with Bud Selig, Roger Goodell, David Stern and Gary Bettman, all looking hopeful. As soon as the winner is announced, the losing three all purse their lips and try to act like they ain’t mad:
Major League Baseball was named Sports League of the Year at the 2012 Sports Business Awards presented by SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily last night in New York. The award recognizes the success baseball enjoyed in 2011 coupling unparalleled drama on the field with record business performance and innovative fan engagement. Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig accepted the award on behalf of the league.
Of course, everyone goes to these things for the after party. I heard Elton John’s was, as usual, off the hook.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (91)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (84)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)