May 24, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
Last week Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reported that the Blue Jays had placed Adam Lind on outright waivers, essentially removing him from the 40-man roster because there was very little chance of another team claiming the $8.5 million left on his contract.
However, now comes word from Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that Knobler’s information was incorrect.
According to Chisholm “there were no indications” and “there is no evidence” that Lind was placed on waivers after being optioned to Triple-A, the proof of which is in the fact that Lind remains on the team’s 40-man roster five days later.
He had been placed on waivers Lind either would have been claimed by another team or the Blue Jays would have been able to outright him off the 40-man roster, and since neither of those things has apparently happened the original report looks to have been incorrect.
Whatever the case, Lind is at Triple-A and the Blue Jays owe him $5 million this season and $5 million next season, with a series of team options or buyouts beginning in 2014.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)