May 24, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
For months Robin Ventura has played coy about the White Sox’s closer role, refusing to give anyone that title, but yesterday he finally relented and made official what has been obvious: The job belongs to rookie Addison Reed.
“He’s earned that,” Ventura told Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago. “I feel comfortable with him in there. That’s who we’d be using if we’re winning. I don’t think he care. I just think he just wants the ball and pitches.”
Reed was the seemingly obvious choice to replace Sergio Santos at closer the whole time, but for whatever reason Ventura decided to go with fellow rookie Hector Santiago early on despite little in his track record suggesting he could thrive in the role.
On the other hand Reed has done nothing but dominate since the White Sox drafted him in the third round two years ago, storming through the minors and then beginning his big-league career with a 29/8 K/BB ratio in 21 innings. And if things go according to plan for the White Sox, Reed, and Ventura the first-year manager might not have to name another closer until he’s a 10th-year manager.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)