May 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Last we heard from Armando Benitez, he was inexplicably signed by the Marlins in mid-2010. That resulted in eight appearances in triple-A and he hasn’t been heard from since. Today, however, he signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League.
He was in the Atlantic League — Newark — when he signed with the Marlins, so who knows, maybe this will put him back on the road to the major, heh, sorry. Almost got through that with a straight face but just couldn’t cut it.
In other Atlantic League news, Joey Gathright — who has recently been toiling for Bridgeport Bluefish — has reportedly had his contract purchased by the Reds triple-A team, the Lousiville Bats. Gathright is no stranger to this either, as he has done the Atlantic League-to-affiliated ball jump for three straight seasons now.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)