May 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Last we heard from Armando Benitez, he was inexplicably signed by the Marlins in mid-2010. That resulted in eight appearances in triple-A and he hasn’t been heard from since. Today, however, he signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League.
He was in the Atlantic League — Newark — when he signed with the Marlins, so who knows, maybe this will put him back on the road to the major, heh, sorry. Almost got through that with a straight face but just couldn’t cut it.
In other Atlantic League news, Joey Gathright — who has recently been toiling for Bridgeport Bluefish — has reportedly had his contract purchased by the Reds triple-A team, the Lousiville Bats. Gathright is no stranger to this either, as he has done the Atlantic League-to-affiliated ball jump for three straight seasons now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)