May 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Last we heard from Armando Benitez, he was inexplicably signed by the Marlins in mid-2010. That resulted in eight appearances in triple-A and he hasn’t been heard from since. Today, however, he signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League.
He was in the Atlantic League — Newark — when he signed with the Marlins, so who knows, maybe this will put him back on the road to the major, heh, sorry. Almost got through that with a straight face but just couldn’t cut it.
In other Atlantic League news, Joey Gathright — who has recently been toiling for Bridgeport Bluefish — has reportedly had his contract purchased by the Reds triple-A team, the Lousiville Bats. Gathright is no stranger to this either, as he has done the Atlantic League-to-affiliated ball jump for three straight seasons now.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 18
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)