May 25, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Milwaukee will be without Marco Estrada for at least 3-4 starts because a quadriceps strain and he was only in the rotation to begin with as an injury replacement for Chris Narveson, so the Brewers are running short on starters.
Instead of dipping down into the minors for help manager Ron Roenicke indicated that he’ll give Manny Parra a chance by moving him from the bullpen to the rotation, where he spent the first three seasons of his career. And had some really ugly results.
Parra has started 74 career games with a 5.44 ERA, allowing opponents to hit .291 with an .820 OPS while walking 4.7 batters per nine innings. And those numbers include some good work as a rookie way back in 2008, after which Parra really fell apart.
Toss in the fact that Parra’s time in the bullpen means he hasn’t built up the arm strength to pitch deep into games as a starter and Estrada’s injury could prove more costly to the Brewers than it appears as first glance.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)