May 25, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
Chipper Jones has been teammates with future Hall of Famers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz and he got to see plenty of Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and Kevin Brown during their heydays. Stephen Strasburg, though, might outclass them all:
“He has the best stuff, the best repertoire of pitches that I’ve seen on any one single pitcher,” Jones said Friday.
It’s a lofty statement, but it hardly seems completely out of line. The 23-year-old Strasburg has used his 94-98 mph fastball, curve and changeup to great effect this year, amassing a 4-1 record, a 2.21 ERA and a 64/13 K/BB ratio in 53 innings.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86