May 25, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
Chipper Jones has been teammates with future Hall of Famers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz and he got to see plenty of Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and Kevin Brown during their heydays. Stephen Strasburg, though, might outclass them all:
“He has the best stuff, the best repertoire of pitches that I’ve seen on any one single pitcher,” Jones said Friday.
It’s a lofty statement, but it hardly seems completely out of line. The 23-year-old Strasburg has used his 94-98 mph fastball, curve and changeup to great effect this year, amassing a 4-1 record, a 2.21 ERA and a 64/13 K/BB ratio in 53 innings.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 24
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 41
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 57
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 105
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (105)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)