May 25, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
It’s just Ryan Dempster‘s luck: he allowed one run in 7 1/3 innings versus Pittsburgh on Friday and then fell to 0-3 anyway.
The Cubs racked up 10 hits tonight, yet lost 1-0 to drop their 10th straight game and fall to 15-30 on the season. They were the first team since the Dodgers last June 18 to get shutout in a game with at least 10 hits.
Dempster has now made eight starts and posted a 2.14 ERA, but he’s still looking for his first victory. Twice he’s left with leads, only to watch the bullpen blow them. The Cubs are 1-7 in his outings.
The Cubs tried shaking up their lineup a bit tonight, moving Starlin Castro out of the third spot for the first time this season and going with Joe Mather in his place. Castro, hitting second, had two hits, as did Mather, but they didn’t come at the right time.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)