May 25, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Not only did Curt Schilling’s company go belly-up and lay everyone off, it allegedly boned some of them via a relocation program that apparently didn’t do what it was supposed to do:
Some of the hundreds of 38 Studios employees laid off yesterday were hit with a second round of bad news this week when they were told by banks that homes they thought the company had sold for them hadn’t been and that they may be stuck with a second mortgage, Polygon has learned … One former employee said they discovered this week that their Massachusetts home, which they had been told was sold last year, actually hadn’t been. The bank contacted them this week to ask why they mortgage wasn’t being paid.
When stuff like this happens, investigators really start going over a company’s books. And when investigators start going over a company’s books, boy howdy do things get ugly. Because a lot of companies have fishy stuff on the books. If everything else is fine, no one ever knows.
But fired employees getting caught up in mortgages they thought their company disposed of? Watch out.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)