May 25, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks and catcher Miguel Montero have agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension. The deal is expected to be officially announced at a press conference tomorrow.
Montero was due to hit free agency this offseason, but he’ll now be signed through the 2017 season. The new deal falls short of Yadier Molina‘s recent five-year, $75 million extension with the Cardinals, but it’s still a nice chunk of change for someone who is just realizing his potential. The Diamondbacks paid a premium knowing that he would be highly-coveted on the open market this winter.
Montero, 28, owns a .270/.339/.442 batting line since making his major league debut in 2006. He’s off to a bit of a slow start this year and suffered a groin strain earlier this week, but he batted .282/.351/.469 with 18 home runs, 86 RBI and an .820 OPS last season while throwing out 40 percent of attempted basestealers.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)