May 25, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Tonight is Dustin Ackley bobblehead night at Safeco Field. However, Ackley isn’t playing. Manager Eric Wedge said he’s resting his second baseman, even though the Angels are throwing a right-hander.
Which is just plain stupid.
Ackley should be playing tonight regardless of the bobblehead matter. He’s a left-handed hitter who has hit righties far better than southpaws, so there’s certainly no good reason to rest him. He’s even 4-for-13 with a triple and a couple of RBI against Angels starter Ervin Santana, which is better than most of his teammates.
So those are the baseball reasons to put him in the lineup.
And there’s the other stuff, the stuff that a manager really shouldn’t think about when putting together a lineup, but that many of them would anyway, simply because they’re human.
I’m sure there are a whole bunch of 8- and 10-year-old kids out there whose favorite player is Dustin Ackley. Some of them live in Tacoma, Yakima, Vancouver or wherever and probably get to go to one or two games per year. This is the game their mom and/or dad took them to so that they could see their idol and get his bobblehead. And because Eric Wedge is a doodie head, they’re going to be half-disappointed.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)