May 25, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacin was diagnosed with an injury to his pectoral minor muscle involving a nerve entrapment. This rules out an injury to his biceps, shoulder or elbow.
The injury can be treated through rest and exercise, but Chacin isn’t expected to resume throwing for at least another few weeks.
2:14 PM: Jhoulys Chacin‘s shoulder injury hasn’t gotten any better in three weeks on the disabled list, so the Rockies are sending the 24-year-old right-hander for a second opinion.
“We just can’t figure out what’s going on right now,” general manager Dan O’Dowd told Thomas Harding of MLB.com. “Our medical people are very creative people. They’re looking for answers.”
Chacin was initially going to be optioned to Triple-A, but when an MRI exam showed inflammation in his shoulder the Rockies canceled the demotion and instead placed him on the DL. He hasn’t been cleared to resume throwing yet and Chacin’s struggles dating back to the second half of last season are worrisome.
Harding notes that Chacin went 8-4 with a 2.71 ERA through his first 15 starts last season, but is just 3-13 with a 5.14 ERA since then. During spring training O’Dowd publicly questioned Chacin’s offseason conditioning program, which the pitcher didn’t appreciate, and according to Harding he also kept shoulder soreness from the training staff for quite a while.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)