May 25, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacin was diagnosed with an injury to his pectoral minor muscle involving a nerve entrapment. This rules out an injury to his biceps, shoulder or elbow.
The injury can be treated through rest and exercise, but Chacin isn’t expected to resume throwing for at least another few weeks.
2:14 PM: Jhoulys Chacin‘s shoulder injury hasn’t gotten any better in three weeks on the disabled list, so the Rockies are sending the 24-year-old right-hander for a second opinion.
“We just can’t figure out what’s going on right now,” general manager Dan O’Dowd told Thomas Harding of MLB.com. “Our medical people are very creative people. They’re looking for answers.”
Chacin was initially going to be optioned to Triple-A, but when an MRI exam showed inflammation in his shoulder the Rockies canceled the demotion and instead placed him on the DL. He hasn’t been cleared to resume throwing yet and Chacin’s struggles dating back to the second half of last season are worrisome.
Harding notes that Chacin went 8-4 with a 2.71 ERA through his first 15 starts last season, but is just 3-13 with a 5.14 ERA since then. During spring training O’Dowd publicly questioned Chacin’s offseason conditioning program, which the pitcher didn’t appreciate, and according to Harding he also kept shoulder soreness from the training staff for quite a while.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)