May 25, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacin was diagnosed with an injury to his pectoral minor muscle involving a nerve entrapment. This rules out an injury to his biceps, shoulder or elbow.
The injury can be treated through rest and exercise, but Chacin isn’t expected to resume throwing for at least another few weeks.
2:14 PM: Jhoulys Chacin‘s shoulder injury hasn’t gotten any better in three weeks on the disabled list, so the Rockies are sending the 24-year-old right-hander for a second opinion.
“We just can’t figure out what’s going on right now,” general manager Dan O’Dowd told Thomas Harding of MLB.com. “Our medical people are very creative people. They’re looking for answers.”
Chacin was initially going to be optioned to Triple-A, but when an MRI exam showed inflammation in his shoulder the Rockies canceled the demotion and instead placed him on the DL. He hasn’t been cleared to resume throwing yet and Chacin’s struggles dating back to the second half of last season are worrisome.
Harding notes that Chacin went 8-4 with a 2.71 ERA through his first 15 starts last season, but is just 3-13 with a 5.14 ERA since then. During spring training O’Dowd publicly questioned Chacin’s offseason conditioning program, which the pitcher didn’t appreciate, and according to Harding he also kept shoulder soreness from the training staff for quite a while.
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 17
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 1
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 139
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (139)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)