Rays outfielder Brandon Guyer out for season

May 25, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT

Brandon Guyer Getty Images

It just hasn’t been Brandon Guyer‘s year. He’s still facing a $5 million lawsuit because a drunk Matt Bush was driving his vehicle at the time he nearly killed a guy, and now he’s going to require shoulder surgery and miss the rest of the season.

Guyer, a 26-year-old outfielder, had been in the majors for barely a week when he suffered a strained left shoulder earlier this month. Tests determined that he had a torn labrum, and though it’s not his throwing shoulder, he’s going to need surgery that will sideline him several months.

Guyer was 1-for-7 for the Rays this season, but his only hit was a homer.  Over the last two years, he’s hit .309/.381/.510 in 473 at-bats in Triple-A and .188/.204/.396 in 48 at-bats in the majors.

1. snowbirdgothic - May 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Well, crud. He was fun to watch in Durham, and it would have been nice to see him have some success in the bigs.

2. cosanostra71 - May 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM

*Matt F***ing Bush

come one Craig.

3. jwbiii - May 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

When the best thing you can say about your season is, “At least I blew my shoulder out while I was on the 25 man roster,” it wasn’t a good season.

• jwbiii - May 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

All I’m saying here is that being paid $410k to recover from shoulder surgery is better than being paid $78k to recover from shoulder surgery. Bad either way, but one pays better.

4. tropboi11 - May 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I was hoping to watch more of him this season, I hate all the injuries that we have got this season but everytime someone goes down we get to see some of our young talent and they have been doing real good, as you can tell i’m a rays fan but I hated Elliot Johnson for the longest time but he has earned my respect. #GoRays

5. lostsok - May 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Things not to do list:

1. Tug on Superman’s cape.
    2. Spit into the wind.
    3. Pull the mask on that ol’ Lone Ranger.
    4. Loan Matt Bush your car.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3261)