May 25, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It just hasn’t been Brandon Guyer‘s year. He’s still facing a $5 million lawsuit because a drunk Matt Bush was driving his vehicle at the time he nearly killed a guy, and now he’s going to require shoulder surgery and miss the rest of the season.
Guyer, a 26-year-old outfielder, had been in the majors for barely a week when he suffered a strained left shoulder earlier this month. Tests determined that he had a torn labrum, and though it’s not his throwing shoulder, he’s going to need surgery that will sideline him several months.
Guyer was 1-for-7 for the Rays this season, but his only hit was a homer. Over the last two years, he’s hit .309/.381/.510 in 473 at-bats in Triple-A and .188/.204/.396 in 48 at-bats in the majors.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)