May 25, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Under Frank McCourt, the Dodgers spent the least amount of money of all 30 teams on international signings last year. Indeed, over McCourt’s entire tenure, international signings were all put kicked to the curb in terms of priority. That was something the new Dodgers owners said they’d change. And, according to the Los Angeles Times, they’re changing it.
In a news release, the Dodgers said they were in the process of signing 20 players from Latin America. The release did not name the players and not all the signings apparently are official yet …
Buster says the signings total in the $400-500K range. In all of 2011 the Dodgers spent $177K on such signings.
It’s possible that there’s not a gem in that pile of players, but they never even gave themselves a chance to find one when McCourt was running the show.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 25
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)