May 25, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
When the Pirates signed Nate McLouth to a $1.75 million deal in December, they were hoping he’d at least be a shadow of the productive hitter he once was for them. Instead, he wasn’t even a shadow of the shadow and now, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors, they’ve designated him for assignment.
McLouth is hitting .140/.210/.175 in 62 plate appearances, and that’s just not gonna get it done when the Pirates are as desperate as they are for offense.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 0
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)