May 25, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
When the Pirates signed Nate McLouth to a $1.75 million deal in December, they were hoping he’d at least be a shadow of the productive hitter he once was for them. Instead, he wasn’t even a shadow of the shadow and now, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors, they’ve designated him for assignment.
McLouth is hitting .140/.210/.175 in 62 plate appearances, and that’s just not gonna get it done when the Pirates are as desperate as they are for offense.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)