May 25, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
When the Pirates signed Nate McLouth to a $1.75 million deal in December, they were hoping he’d at least be a shadow of the productive hitter he once was for them. Instead, he wasn’t even a shadow of the shadow and now, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors, they’ve designated him for assignment.
McLouth is hitting .140/.210/.175 in 62 plate appearances, and that’s just not gonna get it done when the Pirates are as desperate as they are for offense.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)