May 25, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes wasn’t ready to return from the disabled list when he was first eligible on Tuesday, but he could rejoin the Athletics’ lineup next week.
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Cespedes took 28 swings in the batting cage today without pain and is scheduled to take full batting practice tomorrow. He hopes to return as soon as Monday against the Twins, but Athletics manager Bob Melvin mentioned that he’ll likely require a minor league assignment. If that’s the case, it’s more realistic that we’ll see him at some point next weekend against the Royals.
Cespedes has been sidelined since May 6 due to a muscle strain in his left hand. We learned earlier this week that he plans to change the way he grips the bat in order to avoid aggravating the injury.
Cespedes, who signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, is hitting .245/.319/.434 with five homers, 21 RBI, four stolen bases and .753 OPS over his first 119 plate appearances in the big leagues. While the Cuban outfielder is still a pretty raw talent, he should provide quite a boost to an Oakland offense which enters play tonight ranked 28th in the majors in runs scored, 29th in OPS and dead-last in slugging percentage.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)