May 25, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes wasn’t ready to return from the disabled list when he was first eligible on Tuesday, but he could rejoin the Athletics’ lineup next week.
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Cespedes took 28 swings in the batting cage today without pain and is scheduled to take full batting practice tomorrow. He hopes to return as soon as Monday against the Twins, but Athletics manager Bob Melvin mentioned that he’ll likely require a minor league assignment. If that’s the case, it’s more realistic that we’ll see him at some point next weekend against the Royals.
Cespedes has been sidelined since May 6 due to a muscle strain in his left hand. We learned earlier this week that he plans to change the way he grips the bat in order to avoid aggravating the injury.
Cespedes, who signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, is hitting .245/.319/.434 with five homers, 21 RBI, four stolen bases and .753 OPS over his first 119 plate appearances in the big leagues. While the Cuban outfielder is still a pretty raw talent, he should provide quite a boost to an Oakland offense which enters play tonight ranked 28th in the majors in runs scored, 29th in OPS and dead-last in slugging percentage.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)