May 25, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes wasn’t ready to return from the disabled list when he was first eligible on Tuesday, but he could rejoin the Athletics’ lineup next week.
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Cespedes took 28 swings in the batting cage today without pain and is scheduled to take full batting practice tomorrow. He hopes to return as soon as Monday against the Twins, but Athletics manager Bob Melvin mentioned that he’ll likely require a minor league assignment. If that’s the case, it’s more realistic that we’ll see him at some point next weekend against the Royals.
Cespedes has been sidelined since May 6 due to a muscle strain in his left hand. We learned earlier this week that he plans to change the way he grips the bat in order to avoid aggravating the injury.
Cespedes, who signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, is hitting .245/.319/.434 with five homers, 21 RBI, four stolen bases and .753 OPS over his first 119 plate appearances in the big leagues. While the Cuban outfielder is still a pretty raw talent, he should provide quite a boost to an Oakland offense which enters play tonight ranked 28th in the majors in runs scored, 29th in OPS and dead-last in slugging percentage.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)