May 26, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Brandon League blew his fourth save of the season on Friday night, allowing three runs in a 6-4 loss to the Angels. Today, he faced the consequences.
According to Larry Larue of the Tacoma News Tribune, Mariners skipper Eric Wedge announced Saturday afternoon that League has been demoted to a setup role. Save chances will be spread around to different members of the Seattle ‘pen going forward.
“We’ll match up with what we think works,” Wedge told reporters. “We’ve only got seven guys in the bullpen, and Hisashi Iwakuma is the long guy and League will work in other roles for now. Other than them, it could be anyone, depending upon the situation. It’s not ideal, but this is where we’re at. … We’re not going to name another closer.”
League has registered a 4.43 ERA, 13/12 K/BB ratio and 1.62 WHIP in 20 1/3 innings of relief this season. He’s scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)