May 26, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Brandon League blew his fourth save of the season on Friday night, allowing three runs in a 6-4 loss to the Angels. Today, he faced the consequences.
According to Larry Larue of the Tacoma News Tribune, Mariners skipper Eric Wedge announced Saturday afternoon that League has been demoted to a setup role. Save chances will be spread around to different members of the Seattle ‘pen going forward.
“We’ll match up with what we think works,” Wedge told reporters. “We’ve only got seven guys in the bullpen, and Hisashi Iwakuma is the long guy and League will work in other roles for now. Other than them, it could be anyone, depending upon the situation. It’s not ideal, but this is where we’re at. … We’re not going to name another closer.”
League has registered a 4.43 ERA, 13/12 K/BB ratio and 1.62 WHIP in 20 1/3 innings of relief this season. He’s scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)