May 26, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Brandon League blew his fourth save of the season on Friday night, allowing three runs in a 6-4 loss to the Angels. Today, he faced the consequences.
According to Larry Larue of the Tacoma News Tribune, Mariners skipper Eric Wedge announced Saturday afternoon that League has been demoted to a setup role. Save chances will be spread around to different members of the Seattle ‘pen going forward.
“We’ll match up with what we think works,” Wedge told reporters. “We’ve only got seven guys in the bullpen, and Hisashi Iwakuma is the long guy and League will work in other roles for now. Other than them, it could be anyone, depending upon the situation. It’s not ideal, but this is where we’re at. … We’re not going to name another closer.”
League has registered a 4.43 ERA, 13/12 K/BB ratio and 1.62 WHIP in 20 1/3 innings of relief this season. He’s scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)