May 26, 2012, 2:34 PM EST
The first-place Indians will have to get by without another important piece of their lineup.
Nick Camino of WTAM in Cleveland reports that the Indians will place Carlos Santana on MLB’s seven-day disabled list for concussions. The 26-year-old backstop left last night’s game in the eighth inning after a foul ball off Alex Rios‘ bat hit him in the facemask.
Santana will be eligible to return next weekend, but he’ll have to pass a concussion test before being cleared to return to the field. The Indians have summoned catcher Luke Carlin to join the team in Chicago.
Santana is hitting .245/.360/.387 with five home runs, 24 RBI and a .747 OPS in 189 plate appearances this season. His absence comes at a tough time for the Indians, as shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera is day-to-day with hamstring tightness and designated hitter Travis Hafner is currently sidelined with a right knee injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)