May 26, 2012, 10:37 PM EST
Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero hasn’t appeared in a game in five days because of a left groin strain. And that’s not ready to change.
According to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Southwest, manager Kirk Gibson told reporters that Montero won’t start a game until Monday, at the earliest, due to ongoing groin discomfort.
Konrad Schmidt started behind the plate Saturday.
Montero, 28, has posted a .255/.350/.343 slash line, two home runs and 21 RBI in 157 plate appearances this season. He recently agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension that will pay him $10 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014, $12 million in 2015, $14 million in 2016 and $14 million in 2017.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)