May 26, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero hasn’t appeared in a game in five days because of a left groin strain. And that’s not ready to change.
According to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Southwest, manager Kirk Gibson told reporters that Montero won’t start a game until Monday, at the earliest, due to ongoing groin discomfort.
Konrad Schmidt started behind the plate Saturday.
Montero, 28, has posted a .255/.350/.343 slash line, two home runs and 21 RBI in 157 plate appearances this season. He recently agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension that will pay him $10 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014, $12 million in 2015, $14 million in 2016 and $14 million in 2017.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69