May 26, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
Another night, another disappointing performance for Tim Lincecum.
The two-time Cy Young Award failed to get back on track last night against the Marlins, giving up six runs over 5 2/3 innings as part of a 7-6 loss.
Lincecum allowed just one run over the first five innings — a long solo blast by Giancarlo Stanton which actually hit the home run thing in left-center field — before coming unglued in his final inning of work. He gave up three hits, a walk and a sacrifice fly to tie the game and then a go-ahead three-run homer to Chris Coghlan before Giants manager Bruce Bochy brought the hook.
Lincecum has allowed four runs or more in four straight starts and now owns an unlikely 6.41 ERA over his first 10 starts this year. The only qualified starting pitchers with a higher ERA are Luke Hochevar, Mike Minor and Clay Buchholz.
Giants trainer Dave Groeschner assured Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com after last night’s start that Lincecum is healthy, but his prolonged funk remains one of the biggest surprises of the 2012 campaign.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 5, Cardinals 3 (10 innings)
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)